Kohler turns over. Won’t start.

JRD1054Cub

Threads
2009 SLTX1054 Kohler 735S 26HP twin.
Run into a problem that has me stumped.
Engine will turn over but won’t start.
I have cleared the fuel lines. Replaced fuel and oil level is good.
Replaced fuel pump and filter is fine.
Air filter is clean.
But I still think it’s a fuel issue because it will run briefly with a shot of starter fluid, then cut out.
Spark plugs are new. I replaced the carburetor last season. The odd thing is, it was running ok about 3 weeks ago and this week it decided it was done.
I will say that when it was running, it would backfire every so often while blades were engaged.
Any suggestions?

Bertrrr

Threads
Fuel for sure, pull and clean the carb really good - might pour a little into the carb and try it, probably will run for a bit before dying - float maybe hung up

JRD1054Cub

Threads
Fuel for sure, pull and clean the carb really good - might pour a little into the carb and try it, probably will run for a bit before dying - float maybe hung up
I had a feeling it’s something to do with the carb. Thanks. I’ll yank it this weekend and hopefully that’s the issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the solenoid at the base of the carb
When they get gummed up the plunger can not retract so there is no fuel going into the engine

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have cleared the fuel lines.
Great but lines could be de-laminating internally. Suggest replacing all lines from tank to carb.

Everyone misses flushing out the tank when they try to clean something in the fuel system. Yes do that too.

I still think it’s a fuel issue because it will run briefly with a shot of starter fluid, then cut out.
Rules out spark, for the most part. Could be a weak coil or most likely dirty carb.
Spark plugs are new.
There we go. I knew it was coming. First thing everyone replaces with no good effect on target.
I replaced the carburetor last season.
With OEM or Chinese Scamazon or E-Pray?
when it was running, it would backfire every so often while blades were engaged.
Explain or better, post up a youtube video so we can hear what it is doing. Save a lot of time with a video. And yes turn your stinking phone horizontally when you use a phone to make a video.

Backfires are normally ignition timing off or maybe a valve/cam issue.

JRD1054Cub

Threads
Great but lines could be de-laminating internally. Suggest replacing all lines from tank to carb.

Everyone misses flushing out the tank when they try to clean something in the fuel system. Yes do that too.

Rules out spark, for the most part. Could be a weak coil or most likely dirty carb.

There we go. I knew it was coming. First thing everyone replaces with no good effect on target.

With OEM or Chinese Scamazon or E-Pray?

Explain or better, post up a youtube video so we can hear what it is doing. Save a lot of time with a video. And yes turn your stinking phone horizontally when you use a phone to make a video.

Backfires are normally ignition timing off or maybe a valve/cam issue.
I’ll post a quick video.
No, I learned the hard way, to use OEM only.
I flushed the fuel tank and re-filled. The one thing I did not do was replace the fuel lines.
I yanked the carb and cleaned it yesterday and made sure the seal was still good.
Battery is newer. So please ignore it losing a bit of strength while making the video.

JRD1054Cub

Threads
I’ll post a quick video.
No, I learned the hard way, to use OEM only.
I flushed the fuel tank and re-filled. The one thing I did not do was replace the fuel lines.
I yanked the carb and cleaned it yesterday and made sure the seal was still good.
Battery is newer. So please ignore it losing a bit of strength while making the video.
And now that you mention the lines delaminating… they definitely looked enlarged on the inside.

JRD1054Cub

Threads
Check the solenoid at the base of the carb
When they get gummed up the plunger can not retract so there is no fuel going into the engine
I checked the solenoid and the pin is free. Moving smoothly. As well as the carb plunger. It was actually pretty clean when I removed it.
When I removed the fuel line into the carb, it was free flowing so I know it’s getting fuel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well for starters that was more than enough starting fluid to soak the plug & flood the engine , probably about a good 5 minutes worth of running in that blast .
The valve lash is way out and it also sounds like the choke is not closed fully .

Threads
2009 SLTX1054 Kohler 735S 26HP twin.
Run into a problem that has me stumped.
Engine will turn over but won’t start.
I have cleared the fuel lines. Replaced fuel and oil level is good.
Replaced fuel pump and filter is fine.
Air filter is clean.
But I still think it’s a fuel issue because it will run briefly with a shot of starter fluid, then cut out.
Spark plugs are new. I replaced the carburetor last season. The odd thing is, it was running ok about 3 weeks ago and this week it decided it was done.
I will say that when it was running, it would backfire every so often while blades were engaged.
Any suggestions?
Try some STABIL SPRAY - it's new and seems to help. I have a new carb a year old and it died as well --- C H I N A