kohler popping

blackheart

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I have a kohler 13 HP cv 13. I had to replace the balancing rod and the oils pump it. As a result of there failure the connecting rod was also replaced. After all that the lifters locked up and eat the lobs off the cam. So I replaced that as well. Now there is a popping sound coming from the carb like its backfiring through it. Lifters are not locked up now and the the rocker arms are a little slack. But why is it popping back through the carb. Timing is good as I've checked it 3 time. What am I missing. Please help as Im close to asking my mosburg for some help. Kaboom :mad:

Threads
Ok I have a kohler 13 HP cv 13. I had to replace the balancing rod and the oils pump it. As a result of there failure the connecting rod was also replaced. After all that the lifters locked up and eat the lobs off the cam. So I replaced that as well. Now there is a popping sound coming from the carb like its backfiring through it. Lifters are not locked up now and the the rocker arms are a little slack. But why is it popping back through the carb. Timing is good as I've checked it 3 time. What am I missing. Please help as Im close to asking my mosburg for some help. Kaboom :mad:

Hows the shear key on the flywheel look? Also did you re-adjust the valves?

blackheart

Forum Newbie
Threads
The keys fine. As for the valve adjustment there's no way to adjust them its a hydraulic lifters system.

Threads
The keys fine. As for the valve adjustment there's no way to adjust them its a hydraulic lifters system.

Have you checked to be sure there are no vaccuum leaks aorund the carb, etc?

blackheart

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yea I can't find any licks of any kind. I'm at a lose on this. This isn't my first rebuild. I've done it quit a few times. But this is the first time I've have an engine act like this after a build. I used assembly lube on all the moving parts in side before I reassembled it. Just like I've always did but now I'm have this problem. With the air filter off you can see the blow back in the intake neck. Also you can see the gas building up in there.

chance123

Threads
When you say that the lifters locked up and ate the lobes off the cam makes me nervous! To do "that" much damage to a Kohler cam, "surely" other things were damaged too.

blackheart

Forum Newbie
Threads
After I replaced the balancing rod , oil pump and the connecting rod. The lifters locking up was the only problem I could find. I haven't let run long since I've put different lifters in it. But it was popping back trough the Carb before I changed them. Its still popping and I'm afraid its going to mess the cam up. :thumbdown:. Just don't want to put a new cam in it again.

DaveTN

Threads
Curiosity leads me to ask what caused the lifters to jam up in the first place and eat the cam lobes off? Surely not bad oil? Could be lack of lubrication maybe with oil pump failure. The only cam damage I've personally seen on that level was last year when my cousin's new riding mower from LOWE's broke a cam clean in two pieces and it was still running amazingly! The way it broke it acted like a screwdriver in a slot and was basically forcing the piece furthest away from the cam gear to turn but in a rough and rowdy way with much clanging. I don't see how it ran or kept from flying apart really. But getting back to the backfiring through the carburetor, it could possibly be another sticking lifter, or intake valve not seating properly letting hot gas back up into the carb and causing the popping. But with a rebuild that is a mystery! Did you put in new valve guides? Could be a valve stem sticking or dragging in the guide not letting the intake valve seat completely.

Last edited:

blackheart

Forum Newbie
Threads
i know the reason i took it apart in the first place is the balancing shaft snapped off. which is the part that drives the oil pump. but all that was cleaned out and replaced with new parts. the cam was ate up after that. there's plenty of oil pressure, removal of the valve cover and starting shows the oil squirting out of the push rod ends. what really surprised me was the fact that it would run with the cam ate up like that. it still had the popping thru the carb. but the lifters hydra locked. they filled with to much oil and wouldn't let the lifter check valve release the oil, or that is what i'm guessing. but that doesn't explain why its popping the way it is, cause the lifters are not locked up now. the intake one was locked up the other day but i removed them and changed them with a different set that i had cleaned out. i'm just as a los. fill like i'm losing my mind lol .