Kohler M16S Engine starts then dies when hot

Rokon

Threads
Working on a horizontal shaft motor. When the engine gets hot it will not stay running. Have spark and good compression. Clear fuel lines reveal bubbles when it will fire up briefly using the choke. Fuel filter usually is pretty full when this machine is working properly, but now not so much. Thinking fuel pump? Are they rebuild-able or is there a way to install another pump, electric or vacuum, to work in the mechanical pumps place?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
A-site won't help at all???? Pretty good bunch here!!!

Yeah all things are possible, but have you made sure that it is a fuel problem for sure???? Have some fuel or spray to shoot in the carb when it acts up. If it starts then dies, then you know for sure!!

DaveTN

Threads
Could possibly be valves getting hot and not seating due to insufficient clearances. Check compression when it's hot and see what it reads. When it gets hot, also try putting an external tank to the carburetor and gravity feed it and by-pass the fuel pump. How long does it take it to get hot and quit? 5 minutes? 30 minutes? 1 hour or longer? Might be a coil getting hot and cutting out, but I believe you said you checked for spark. Did you check spark when it was hot and quit?

Rokon

Threads
Re: Kohler M16S Engine starts then dies when hot **UPDATE**

A-site won't help at all???? Pretty good bunch here!!!

Yeah all things are possible, but have you made sure that it is a fuel problem for sure???? Have some fuel or spray to shoot in the carb when it acts up. If it starts then dies, then you know for sure!!

Hey Fish! Must be pretty slow on the chainsaw forum if your trolling around over here...:wink:

Thanks Dave for the ideas.

Rokon

Threads

So I may have found the problem. It appears that the vented gas cap may not have been doing its job. I've opened it up and things seem to be working. I'll know more next Monday when it goes back out for a trial run. :smile:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads

Hey Fish! Must be pretty slow on the chainsaw forum if your trolling around over here...:wink:

Thanks Dave for the ideas.

No, apparently I made Darin's wife mad about something........