Kohler head gaskets

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
How long does it take you guys to do head gaskets on a Kohler command twin engine. I do both sides when I do one.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
How long does it take you guys to do head gaskets on a Kohler command twin engine. I do both sides when I do one.
It depends on how accessible the engine is, some ztrs have them boxed in pretty tight.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And some of the old shaft drive Cubs pretty well a nightmare to change as you got to pull the engine to done about anything engine related.

When ask how it will take on most jobs I just reply "It takes as long as it takes". Never when you are going to run into problems. I had one recently that I had to Helicoil a head bolt.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Depending on access and also will it require R & R Engine 2-4 hours is a good base line

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kohler warranty pays 1.8 Hours for both gaskets. Don't just replace the gaskets plane the heads as well. This is on verticle engines. Just did one that had to take the engine mounting bolts out and lift the engine up to get the muffler off. Clean up and all that 6 to 8 hours

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And they wonder why I don't do warranty work.....Other than my own warranties. Just not worth the headaches of trying to get paid. They always are trying every trick in the book and some that are not to get out of even paying their own suggest rates.

Customers don't like when I demand payment up front and then if I get paid they get a refund.

Hydro Gear wants to send in the defective items so can determine if they are going to pay off.

No wonder shops in my area only warranty items they sold and not anything outside their sales.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was approached to be a warranty shop. After seeing what their process was and what they paid flat rape for repairs I told them no thank you. I would rather not be a nonprofit shop.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I know all they want to allow for a simple clean repair job. They take account anything extra that has to be done. You engines that looks like they been ran thru a mud bog with frozen fasteners that has to drilled and helicoiled. Or mounted in a machine that you got to take half apart to even get to area that needs repairs.

Sorta a Briggs Twin here that needed a sump gasket replaced. Briggs allows 45 min to get it done but it take half a day to get the engine off, repaired, and back on the Super Z. What worst is the new Briggs failed within two passes of the customer's lawn so it was be done all over again. The second time around I use much better quality after market sump gasket. Four months and no problems reported.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boss was approached by Sears to do their warranty work. He was all hiped up do it I took a look at what they paid for warranty work and told him I would not work for that. We don't do Sear warranty work. They were going to pay about 1/3 of the time it would actually take or even less.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boss was approached by Sears to do their warranty work. He was all hiped up do it I took a look at what they paid for warranty work and told him I would not work for that. We don't do Sear warranty work. They were going to pay about 1/3 of the time it would actually take or even less.
They approached me also Seems like they were going to supply all the warranty parts with no income from the parts installed, and pay like $28/hr when my shop rate was like $50.