kohler engine

yourhero

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the ideas. I was able to get the engine to turn over today, but it would not fire, and it seemed like it was turning over hard. I'll take it back to the dealer. Thanks for all the ideas and help!

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
We are getting engines in the shop coming in with "weak starter" complaints and the cam teeth are broken or worn. Engine is out of time and can only crank 1/4 turn. Billing it back to manufacture .
Some came in with broken starter drives .

skeeter

Forum Newbie
Threads
you said to remove spark plug and tuen flywheeej...mine is very tight,, and is the bendix supposed to stay up against the teeth in the flywheel?, battery is new and connections clean

skeeter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: kawasaki engine

"Take out the spark plugs and turn it through a couple of times. You'll feel a sickening mechanical crunch if you've broken something internally. Otherwise, as ILengine has suggested it could be a starter that hung up and expired. Also, check your battery connections for cleanliness and security."

I have taken the spark plugs out previously and was able to turn in through a few times in reverse, I have probably turned it through going forward maybe once, but it was really hard to turn. There were no mechanical crunches or anything like that. How can I test the starter? Connections are good and clean. Thanks!

ywheel? won't turn with my hand and starter is still engaged and won't go down.....

Joe79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with reynoldston... Take off the valve covers and check them. Lift rod could have gotten knocked off and stuck down in there. That would make sense if it was running okay then just shut off. Also would make it hard to turn flywheel. This has happened to me a few times. Not on a kawasaki, but on other small engines.

flightdeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: kohler 15hp engine

Not to hijack the thread - new to the forum and couldnt figure out where to start a new thread.

I inherited from a neighbor a Kohler 15hp on a Snapper Yard Cruizer zero turn.

Problem:
It starts and runs fine, but, when I turn off the key the starter is still trying to spin up...it was still engaged.
Turning the key off stopped the engine but starter still turning..I had to pull a battery cable to shut it off.
Sounds like the starter solenoid didnt disengage. Is the solenoid internally in the top of the starter unit or is it the 3 inch rectangular connection with multiple wires onto the 2 poles close to the starter?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Re: kohler 15hp engine

Follow the large red wire from the positive battery cable down and find the first place it connects, that would be the solenoid,normally has two big lugs and one or two small wires, which is your problem, unless you have a short which is powering the electromagnet part of the solenoid.

flightdeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Ilengine..appreciate the response. Spot on for the solenoid fix. Engine spooled right up! Now..if I can just find that one misng battery cap...