Kohler engine question

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Add a $2.00 fuel shut off valve on the fuel line just before the carb.
See what it does next week at start up after the valve has been off .

Def-Ed

Threads
Hp vs. KW is the equivalent of standard vs metric.
In europe etc.. They measure using kilowatt rating vs horsepower.
If you research it,KW is a superior measurement for power.
HP is a function of torque,and torque measurement was developed by a guy that measured power by how much his horse could lift like 10lbs 1ft in the air using a rope over a treelimb in x amount of time or some such.
I would have to pull my old book out for the correct/complete story on it,but my opinion is as a measurement torque and hp is basically a joke.
However us americans hate change,so we stick with what we know I guess.

(this is all off the cuff,read up on it for a better,truer,more thorough explanation).

As far as a new engine smoking,i've read of this issue and as the last poster suggested it seems to have something to do with carb flooding due to vacuum or something after shutoff I think.
Be helpful to know what color the smoke is.
Fuel is black,oil is blue and water/coolant is white
Some engines do consume fluids like oil due to design (northstar oil consumption,one of top 10 engines in the world anyway) and some due to design flaws (chrysler pt cruisers-consumers do testing/not engineers).
I'm betting your issue is the latter.

(all this is to be considered opinion-I was a dealer mechanic but am no kind of small engine mechanic.)
Hope something in there helps and isn't just rambling.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
With all this KW and smoking as I see it, a model 700 John Deere is 10,000 dollars worth of tractor. If I owned it I would want it right. Maybe a 1000 dollar lawn mower you could put up with it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Def-Ed, I agree and disagree with you. Although some of the European automotive engine manufacturers due rate their engines in kilowatts, which is a measurement of power output, it is not widely accepted even there. I feel the reason for this is that a WATT is universally recognized as a unit of electrical power output, which gets confusing because both WATT & HORSEPOWER measure power output. The metric equivalent to horsepower is PS (for Pferdest舐ke, which is German for "horsepower").

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
In all my working years in the repair buness and now retired in my 70's I have never come across the watts as horsepower. I don't know about you but one of the things I enjoy in the repair occupation is you are always learning something new and no two jobs are alike. As long as my health holds up I am going to keep at it and keep learning.

Def-Ed

Threads
Lol reynolds,the only reason I even know about the KW rating is from collaborating with aussie and european friends for purposes of performance computer tuning on cars.
I've never personally used it for anything other than offhand references others have used.

Makes sense though,similar to calories which are a unit of energy also though referring to the body.
It takes X amount of "power" to create a given amount of power ie "watt".
So you hook up a given engine to a dyno utilizing a generator and it generates X amount of wattage then after you subtract frictional and conversion losses you will have the equivalent of the subjects power rating.

Again,my very generic understanding. I have always assumed it was a more efficient way due to the fact that it was either that or a guy with a horse (greatly simplified,it's been converted since to an equation).

I personally like an old fashioned torque rating,and could care less about horsepower.
If you aim for the torque,then hp is there you just calculate for it.
In the end though,it just has to be enough for what your doing.
So above all,just enjoy it eh.