Kohler engine question

river rat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a new John Deer 700 series mower with a 23 hp Kohler engine ,thay engine had problems made terrible noise Dealer said they could;nt find anything wrong ,it finally threw a rod or rod cap and they replaced with a new 19.4 hp Kohler . The new motor has plenty of power and runs good the problem I have with it now is when it's sats in my shop for a week or longer when I crank to mow it floods my shop with smoke ,it's seems to be oil smoke not gas smoke ,after the first initial cranking it does not smoke and if cranked every couple of days it does not smoke. The local John Deer Tractor dealer shop manager says this is common for Kohler engines and is not concerned but I am

possum

Threads
I think the 19.4 is for KW and that eguals out to the 23 or so horsepower. Same engine as the one you had before. Smoke on startup seems to be common on new engines now days. My Kohler does it sometimes as well, seems to do it more after the prefilter is freshly oiled and wrung out. If the oil level in engine is not going down my dealer says it is fine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I had just payed big $,s for a new tractor with a 23 HP Kohler and they had to replace it that is what I would want back into it. Not a KW Kolososki is that what KW stand for?

possum

Threads
The KW stands for kilowatts. For example a Kohler Courage 20 horsepower single is a 14.9 KW.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The KW stands for kilowatts. For example a Kohler Courage 20 horsepower single is a 14.9 KW.

KW is something I never heard of with a gas engine. kilowatts sounds like something to do with electricity. Enlighten Me on this???

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know I am a dummy but I never came across the kilowatts in place of horsepower or ever seen a reason to do so. But I always like to learn. This is what I found out but I know everyone knows this already.

Multiply the horsepower rating by 745.699. This is the number of watts in one horsepower. Dividing that product by 1,000 will give your engine's power in kilowatts.

scott47429

Threads
why would you even want to go through that i like the horse power rating why change something that works so well

Parkmower

Threads
I thought KW meant Kawasaki. And KH meant kohler. I've seen models like a 1050KW and a 1050KH. Only difference was the Kawasaki or kohler.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
why would you even want to go through that i like the horse power rating why change something that works so well

I agree with you 100% but I wasn't the one to start it.. Now back to the original question. What in the world did they use for replacement engine in river rats John Deere and why would they not install what they took out??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I may be wrong, but I think this thread is a test. 1. What engine manufacturer would replace a 23HP engine with a 19.4HP engine? 2. Who would accept this replacement? 3. To my knowledge Kohler does not make a 19.4HP engine. 4. RiverRat has never replied. 5. KW= Kindof Wierd!