Kohler engine no spark till coasting.

mcostello

Threads
I have had an Ariens 16-h garden tractor with a single cylender 16 Hp engine. No problems for at least the 2-3 years We have had it. Last week it started and ran like normal. It always has started when I quit cranking and the motor starts coasting. I noticed this and it has never been a problem, I never had to diagnose it. Now I checked the spark and noticed this behavior. It does not even try to start even with starting fluid. Compression and all else seems normal, just not even a pop. Anyone have any experience like this? Where to start looking?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
lets start with the model and spec of the engine on your mower. The 16 hp could be a K series, KT series, M series, CH or CV series, SV series. So without the engine info we are just guessing.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Assuming K341 then What is the specification number of the engine so we don't have to guess. Kohler used both a battery ignition and a magneto ignition on their K series engines.

mcostello

Threads
Will have full information tomorrow morning, battery ignition. It's not here right now.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My suspicion is it is not sending power to the coil with the key in the start position. Could be faulty key switch, could be somebody replaced the key switch and now has the wrong switch. Never saw it with the battery ignition systems but is fairly common with the Kohler engines with the fuel shutoff solenoid not sending power to the solenoid in the start position but works fine in the run position.

mcostello

Threads
No fuel cut off solenoid. No wires evident.
Model 341S
Specs 71109A
serial 8318085

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
No fuel cut off solenoid. No wires evident.
Model 341S
Specs 71109A
serial 8318085
My point was that the coil may not be getting battery voltage with the key in the start position, but is in the run position. Need to get the volt meter out and check for power to the coil in both the start and run key positions.

mcostello

Threads
Yes, You have pointed Me in the right direction.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
You have a + and - sign on the coil. What is connected to the + side of the coil?