Kohler CV16s Muffler question

crazyoldtractor

Threads
I have a Kohler CV16S mounted on a wheel horse 252h and at the moment the engine is running without a muffler. I need to make a mount for a muffler, but until then. I was running it tonight and I saw it would spark and some flames would come out of the exhaust. Is this normal. Maybe when I mount the muffler the back pressure will stop that? I just don't want to mount the muffler and then have it melt the pipe off from those flames.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
That is normal without a muffler.

Just like a car shoots flames out of its manifold if you don't have a full exhaust system on it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes that is normal, Don't run the engine very long or hard without a muffler. Without the back presure you lose power for one thing. You can also can warp the valves.

crazyoldtractor

Threads
Ok, good. I just wanted to make sure. Now another Question. I am not planning on putting the original muffler back on it. I am going to weld one of those circular mufflers off a b&s 3.5hp classic engine onto the pipe I have currently coming off of it. Will this provide sufficient back pressure for this larger engine? or will this thing still spit flames if there isn't enough back pressure and melt this thing off? It would be very awkward to mount the original muffler back onto this engine due to space and its as big as a tissue box!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You got a 16 HP tractor and want to put a 3.5 HP muffler on it. I would think that would be too much back pressure. The engine has to breath. If you want to put one of the round aftermarket mufflers on it get the bigger size for that engine. You don't want too little or too much back pressure. When the engineer design that engine they design a muffler for it to run the most efficient.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you put that small of muffler on it will cherry red quickly and burn out in a few hours.