Kohler Courage XT-7 - Stalls when warm

Texicus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! A hurtin' Albertan with yet another Kohler Courage question...this is the second season that I've had my mower (Craftsman push). Everything was good, until I started mowing today. It started fine, but I noticed after a few minutes that it was starting to run rough (the good ol' RAWWRraawrRAWWRrawwr, if that makes any sense...the sound of running out of gas). I checked the tank, almost full. Gas is about 3-4 weeks old.

I pulled the air filter off so I could see if the auto-choke was running properly...as the engine warmed up, the butterfly opened like it should, and the engine started to sputter. I haven't torn the carb apart yet. Is it worth it to drain the gas tank and put new fuel in? I noticed that when it started to run rough, if I pushed the choke butterfly back to almost closed, the engine came back to life and was running smooth. Really at a loss of where to start with this...anybody see this before? Appreciate any help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time it happens loosen the fuel cap to see if the vent is plugged and there is a vacuum being created in the tank not allowing fuel to flow out.

Texicus

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did start it up with the fuel cap off, but got the same result. Thanks tho!

Ifixdit

Threads
Hello! A hurtin' Albertan with yet another Kohler Courage question...this is the second season that I've had my mower (Craftsman push). Everything was good, until I started mowing today. It started fine, but I noticed after a few minutes that it was starting to run rough (the good ol' RAWWRraawrRAWWRrawwr, if that makes any sense...the sound of running out of gas). I checked the tank, almost full. Gas is about 3-4 weeks old.

I pulled the air filter off so I could see if the auto-choke was running properly...as the engine warmed up, the butterfly opened like it should, and the engine started to sputter. I haven't torn the carb apart yet. Is it worth it to drain the gas tank and put new fuel in? I noticed that when it started to run rough, if I pushed the choke butterfly back to almost closed, the engine came back to life and was running smooth. Really at a loss of where to start with this...anybody see this before? Appreciate any help!

If you need to close the choke for it to run then it's not getting enough fuel on it's own. Clean the carb and that should solve the problem. Good luck.

Texicus

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks! I'll update when I get a chance!

Texicus

Forum Newbie
Threads
The dreaded carb gunk strikes again! I disassembled my carb, and cleaned it all out - noticed quite a bit of build up around the float needle seat. Threw it all back together, and it's mowing like a damn again! Thanks guys!

Ifixdit

Threads
The dreaded carb gunk strikes again! I disassembled my carb, and cleaned it all out - noticed quite a bit of build up around the float needle seat. Threw it all back together, and it's mowing like a damn again! Thanks guys!

Glad ya got her running good again! Well done :thumbsup: