Kohler compression release

Hoagie12

Threads
I have a cub cadet with a 22 hp v twin motor. It has too much compression to item over. I pulled the cam out thinking the compression release mechanism was broken only to find out it does not have a compression release mechanism!? What now?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Without engine model and spec it is only a guess but it sounds you got an Inertia Drive Starter with worn out bushings. Kohler does not offer replacement parts for the starter, new starter replacement only.

Hoagie12

Threads
Without engine model and spec it is only a guess but it sounds you got an Inertia Drive Starter with worn out bushings. Kohler does not offer replacement parts for the starter, new starter replacement only.

Hoagie12

Threads
I just replaced the cam shaft.I plane to reinstall engine tomorrow. If that doesn’t work I’ll give the starter a look and let you know. Thanks a lot!

Hoagie12

Threads
I just replaced the cam shaft.I plane to reinstall engine tomorrow. If that doesn’t work I’ll give the starter a look and let you know. Thanks a lot!
How does Kohler get away without using a compression release? Model is sv715-3002, sn 4307107123

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
You are going too deep, too quickly. Replacing cams and opening up engine to “check for compression release mechanism” is not the order you need to proceed. If you have a compression tester, perform a compression test. Then charge and load test battery. Then make sure your connections are clean and tight. Then use multimeter to check for possible voltage drop at starter. Then get back with us. Or keep throwing parts at it.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
First thing to do is adjust the valve lash. Too much lash will cause engine to kick back on the starter.

Last edited:

Hoagie12

Threads
They use a stronger starter motor and a better carb less prone to leaking when not in use .
Does your car have a decompressor ?
No compression release. After reviewing the information available about the starter I have ordered a gen 3 starter.