Kohler Command Pro 30, running bad, #1 cylinder extremely hot. Help!!

lawnrescue

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler Command Pro 30, running bad, #1 cylinder extremely hot. Help!!
Ok just going to everyone up on what i'm dealing with.

I have a Bad Boy with a Kohler Command Pro 30 CV750-BS20 with 600hrs. About 3 weeks ago while cutting it started acting up and lost a little power. Then it cleared up. The next yard it did the same thing and just kept running bad like it was on one cylinder. I pulled the #2 plug and it looked fine. The #1 plug was white/brown and had alot of carbon on it that was white/brown and it was extremely HOT compared to #2 . I cleaned the plug and stuck it back in. I was able to finish that yard for the day. Brought it home picked up new plugs and cleaned the carb. It seemed to run better than ever for about an hour on my first yard and then crashed again. I tried doing the same as before, cleaned the carb and new plugs with no luck. Checked compression on #1=110lbs, #2=150lbs. I brought it to the shop and they checked it out and said i needed a new engine $2200. I didn't buy it and began doing some searching.

Talked to someone that said I could have a possible head gasket leak. I pulled the #1 head. The exhaust valve had alot of the same carbon build up that the plug had. I did a check and the exhaust valve was leaking. I brought it to a engine shop and they seated the valves and leveled the head. It looked brand new! I ordered a gasket set. Put it all back together with new plugs, intake, exhaust, and head gaskets. I cleaned the carb again while i had it apart. It still doing the same thing. It idles fine with no load but as soon as I engage the blades it barely has any power. After 3-5 mins of running the #1 cylinder is extremely hot compared to the #2 cylinder. After a compression test both cylinders are at 150 lbs now. The valve job fixed the compression loss but why won't it run right? Why is it so hot on the #1 side? or is the #2 cylinder not firing off like it should? I'm in a major bind and any help would be appreciated Thanks!

taxidermist

Threads
I would double check the valves and make sure they are still not leaking and also they are adjusted right.

Buy a few spark testers from harbor freight and when it starts to act up watch the spark.

Rob

lawnrescue

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked the head that i had worked before i installed it and they were not leaking. As far as adjusting they are hydraulic so there is no adjustments right? I guess i need to pull the #2 head off, (cooler one) and check it. But they both have 150 psi of compression now. Is the #2 cylinder not firing like it should since its not hot at all but the other one is?

taxidermist

Threads
Yes if they are hydro then no adjustment. Is the plug on the cooler cylinder fouled or wet when you remove it?

Rob

lawnrescue

Forum Newbie
Threads
The plug on the cooler cylinder #2 looks normal. Not wet.

possum

Threads
Why not just pull one plug wire at a time off until you find out just what cylinder is not firing and find that problem? Is there fire at the cold cylinder? If there is fire and compression at the cold one then you must be lacking gas.