Kohler Command Pro 26 EFI backfiring Problem

Soso

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Walker Lawn Mower with a Kohler Command Pro 26 EFI engine in it. It ran fine when I finished last season. When I started it this year for the season it would run fine until I engaged the blades and then it lost power and had a miss in it and would backfire when idling the Engine down. So I took all the old gas out and put new gas in. I replaced the spark plugs. It made no differences in the way it runs. When I replaced the spark plugs I noticed one of them was wet and clean and the other one was black and dry. So I looked at the new plugs after I changed them and ran it some. Same thing on the new plugs, one wet and clean the other one dry and getting black. I checked the spark on both sides and found that they both had spark. They both jumped about a half inch gap on a spark tester. If I start it at an Ideal and pull the spark plug wire of the wet clean plug the Engine dies. If I do the same on the other spark plug it stays running with the missing sound staying the same.
I am confused a little because I have spark on both sides. I pulled the spark plugs and put my finger over the hole and cranked the Engine over, it feels like it has good compression on both sides. I have ran the Engine with the gas cap off, runs the same. Ran it with no air filters to see if that changed it any and it did not. I looked inside the gas tank while it was running and it has good gas flow coming out the return line. Any ideas or help please. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is the MIL light on, and is it flashing a code.

mwrman

Threads
I recommend performing a leak-down and compression test. My guess is initially having fuel issues engine backfired. When that happens repeatedly valve seats may have popped out. If you take the valve cover off of the side that didn't make any difference when you pulled the spark plug wire off.

Soso

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the MIL light on, and is it flashing a code.

I am not sure what the MIL light is. I turned the key on off on off on as the manual said in two and a half seconds to check the code and the orange light flashed six times paused and flashed one more time then off. On the hour meter it is flashing from the hours of 951 to a word that looks like LUbE.

Soso

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recommend performing a leak-down and compression test. My guess is initially having fuel issues engine backfired. When that happens repeatedly valve seats may have popped out. If you take the valve cover off of the side that didn't make any difference when you pulled the spark plug wire off.

I pulled the valve covers off and ran the Engine and the lifters went up and down as looked normal. I will do a compression test an described in the service manual. Thanks