Kohler Command Ch16S Backfiring

KyleZolber

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 20 year old Cub Cadet with 287 hours and a Kohler Ch16S vertical engine. I just bought the unit and trying to get it up and running. Muffler was blown out badly and carburetor was damaged. Installed new muffler and carburetor and tried to start, but engine began to backfire badly through the carburetor. I pulled the valve cover and the rocker arms were pushing the valves down in between the cycles. I pulled the head and removed and bleed the lifters but the problem only got worse when I tried to restart. I'm thinking of replacing the lifters and head gasket, but I'd appretiate any other insight. I personally prefer adjustable rocker arms btw :) Thanks

VegetiveSteam

Threads
They are pretty much the same engine but just to clarify because there are a few differences, a CH16 would be a horizontal engine. CV would be a vertical. CH=Command Horizontal and of course CV=Command Vertical.

Those engines did have variable timed ignition with a speed advance module but if that module failed the engines would normally run but lacked power. It's not impossible that it could cause an ignition timing issue but it was rare.

It definitely sounds out of time but it's more likely ignition timing than valve timing. Possibly a sheared flywheel key.

What do you know about the history of the machine? I'm guessing that the previous owner had some running issues so what may they have done to the engine that may make it hard to diagnose if they've changed anything from the way it came originally.

KyleZolber

Forum Newbie
Threads