Kohler CH20 oil over pressure

Horsemowerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wife was mowing with a cub 2084, 20 hp kohler. Mower all of a sudden started laboring and blowing oil out of valve cover seals. shut off pto and idled down problem went away. shut it down and checked oil level. It was ok. she started mowing again and a 1/2 hour later it did it again.. It ran fine for a while then it all of a sudden labors like it's going to die and started smoking. shut down pto and idled down and problem went away again. She then idled back up engaged pto and mowed some more. another 15 minutes later it did it again. I replaced breather and oil pressure sensor on it just this spring. Does anybody know what could be the problem?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are building up crankcase pressure. Could be a head that is warping causing blowby past the head gasket, breather sticking, or the breather tube is plugged.

chance123

Threads
Wife was mowing with a cub 2084, 20 hp kohler. Mower all of a sudden started laboring and blowing oil out of valve cover seals. shut off pto and idled down problem went away. shut it down and checked oil level. It was ok. she started mowing again and a 1/2 hour later it did it again.. It ran fine for a while then it all of a sudden labors like it's going to die and started smoking. shut down pto and idled down and problem went away again. She then idled back up engaged pto and mowed some more. another 15 minutes later it did it again. I replaced breather and oil pressure sensor on it just this spring. Does anybody know what could be the problem?

Just curious, but what led up to you having to replace the oil pressure sensor and the breather last spring? There might be a clue hidden in there somewhere.

Horsemowerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
just noticed a small oil leak around oil pressure sensor. Went to dealer and he had a kit for it that replaced all but the reed valve. I probably will replace the reed valve now. I have been mowing with it for the past month without any problems.

chance123

Threads
just noticed a small oil leak around oil pressure sensor. Went to dealer and he had a kit for it that replaced all but the reed valve. I probably will replace the reed valve now. I have been mowing with it for the past month without any problems.

Yes try changing it. The reed valve is like a check valve and has to operate correctly.

Horsemowerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the help. I will let you know if this fixes the problem. Gotta wait for parts, as with anything old. Parts are never on hand at local dealers.