Kohler 5400 won’t run.

studandbabe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Troy bilt Broncho with a Kohler 5400 19HP. I was mowing my field and it just stopped as though it was out of gas. It had gas, I turned the key, nothing. Just quiet. I tried jumping it from my truck, ( I’ve done that before.). Still nothing. Spark plug is attached properly. Any suggestions would be appreciate. Thanx

KGB1a

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove air filter and spray some carby clean, ether starter fluid or even WD40 into carburettor. If it starts and keeps running as you give a few squirts then check your fuel pump. If no go check fuel filter and then remove spark plug and test against head or replace plug straight off. These are starting points. Trust this helps.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jumped from your truck where to ?
battery terminals or frame & solenoid terminal ?
My immediate thought would be a battery cable fallen off or blown fuse
It would help if we had te numbers from under the seat so we can check the wiring diagram
Remember you are there getting sore toes from kicking it
we are here were we can not even hear you cursing it

studandbabe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove air filter and spray some carby clean, ether starter fluid or even WD40 into carburettor. If it starts and keeps running as you give a few squirts then check your fuel pump. If no go check fuel filter and then remove spark plug and test against head or replace plug straight off. These are starting points. Trust this helps.
It won’t even turn over. It has to an electrical fault

studandbabe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Jumped from your truck where to ?
battery terminals or frame & solenoid terminal ?
My immediate thought would be a battery cable fallen off or blown fuse
It would help if we had te numbers from under the seat so we can check the wiring diagram
Remember you are there getting sore toes from kicking it
we are here were we can not even hear you cursing it
Jumped directly to the battery terminals. I’ll check the fuses and battery cable today

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I'll start with the simplest things I can think of, but if you turn the key to try and start it and it reacts as if someone took the battery out of it, the first thing I would check would be the fuse and fuse holder. If the fuse blew no power could get to the fuel solenoid and that would kill the engine. It would also keep it from turning over as there would be no power to excite the starter solenoid. If the fuse is good check the ground cable. See if it's loose where it attaches to the equipment. Also check the connections on the positive side at the battery side of the starter solenoid.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks
After checking the fuse, and by checking I mean pull it out and look
The next step is to try & turn the engine over by hand
Place your palm on the debris screen and push down while turning clockwise
Do 2 full revolutions
If you can not then remove the spark plug & try again.
If you can turn the engine 2 full revolutions by hand then get some jumper leads
Hook one to the battery - and the other directly to a metal part on the engine then turn the key.
Engine cranks = bad battery ground cable
Do the similar with the battery + terminal to the + terminal on the starter motor
Engine spins = bad power cable

studandbabe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks
After checking the fuse, and by checking I mean pull it out and look
The next step is to try & turn the engine over by hand
Place your palm on the debris screen and push down while turning clockwise
Do 2 full revolutions
If you can not then remove the spark plug & try again.
If you can turn the engine 2 full revolutions by hand then get some jumper leads
Hook one to the battery - and the other directly to a metal part on the engine then turn the key.
Engine cranks = bad battery ground cable
Do the similar with the battery + terminal to the + terminal on the starter motor
Engine spins = bad power cable
Simplest thing worked. Blown 20 amp yellow fuse. Why did that fuse go? If the new goes, what do I check next? Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was mowing my field
One clue for me. Which leads to the next one below.
it just stopped as though it was out of gas.
As in it sputtered then died right?

Look for mice damage since you mow fields with it. Or maybe you don't live next to a field??

Take the battery and have it load tested. Most auto parts stores do this for free. I would start here first. Then look at battery connections and possible mice chewing wires.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blown 20 amp yellow fuse. Why did that fuse go?
You stated you mow a field. Not the smoothest surface to cut right? This leads me to think you have some loose connection/s on that machine. Something in the electrical side is suspect. Loose wire and a poor connection = more amp draw.