kohler 25 ch

Rick Ohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Skagg Turf Tiger 61" with Kohler CH 25.

Noticed at end of season last year , an oil leak? Splashing on one side of engine. Possibly from the valve cover. ? I am fairly anal when it comes to checking oil , fluids. Does not seem to need any appreciable amount added . I use maybe 100 -120 hrs /yr. ,
I would like to address it before the season gets going.

Much to it? Homeowner, some common sense. ability. But, not a mechanic.
TY for any guidance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I would recommend you do is get a pressure washer and give the engine a good cleaning. Let the unit dry. Ask you better half for a cup of flour and dust liberally there area you suspect the oil is coming from, after it is dry. Start the unit and watch for an oil leak. The oil will give you a trail back to the source. Once you locate the source you can make your decision as to how to proceed and comeback with questions. This service manual will help you in making you decision. https://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/24_690_30_EN.pdf

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally UV trace dye works better but just me. OiI leaks can be misleading at times as it can appear to be somewhere other than where it is actual at.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either way works, I‘m a cheap old fart and actually keep a bag of flour in the bottom of the tool box because I used to have to find hydraulic leaks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That UV dye works in those hydraulics that uses regular or synthetic motor oils too. Do the time saved I have found UV dye is cost effective in the shop. Just got have the right UV light. The dye I use need 365nm light and most UV lights are around 395nm. Matter the kit that I started out had the wrong light and did a terrible job of lighting up the UV dye. What bugged me was the kit was provide the dye manufacture. I had to email and ask what was the best wavelength to use.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dye works very well in the shop when you have multiple units to work on, but not cost effective for the DIY guy. Problem I had with the dye, you either had to have electricity available for the light or buy a battery powered light. Did a lot of service calls away from the shop. No power needed when using flour.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
DIYers are just avoiding paying a shop labor so that shouldn't be a problem; unless, they are misers because they sending all their spare change to pay a billionaire legal bills. I got one those guys down the road that can't afford the screws to hold down his tin roof just used tires holding the uninstalled tin on his leaking roof.

Since I use the small battery power lights here I got the same style LED unit. Instead using 1.5 AA batteries I use the 3.7V rechargeable batteries which provides a brighter light. Many manufactures are now combining the 365 and 395 uv leds in the same unit. Yes initial cost for the light is now around $20 but uv dye is around $8 for a 1 oz bottle which you use less than 1/2 oz in 2 quarts of oil which the only item you have purchase multiple times. By going thru Amazon I got that price down to just over $4 per bottle. So if I can't afford $2 per job I need to just quit. I understand the flour is dirt cheap but I rather make bread with it.
1709301718677.png
I also the UV light to check the incoming currency for counterfeits and uv security marks. Also the UV can used for other things too like viewing engine decals when they are not readable as it help sometimes.

Btw the UV LED light and regular LED flashlights are easily stored in your tool box so they are always handy. My units are only about 10 yrs old. But of course you may not want give cigarettes and beer a few times to buy them.

Ronni

Threads
I have an older Skagg Turf Tiger 61" with Kohler CH 25.

Noticed at end of season last year , an oil leak? Splashing on one side of engine. Possibly from the valve cover. ? I am fairly anal when it comes to checking oil , fluids. Does not seem to need any appreciable amount added . I use maybe 100 -120 hrs /yr. ,
I would like to address it before the season gets going.

Much to it? Homeowner, some common sense. ability. But, not a mechanic.
TY for any guidance.
I had a similar problem with my Cub Cadet riding mower with a Kohler 20hp. It turned out there was a crack in the crank case leaking oil. I bought a new short block engine on Amazon for a lot less than any where else and that solved my problem completely.

davis2

Threads
That UV dye works in those hydraulics that uses regular or synthetic motor oils too. Do the time saved I have found UV dye is cost effective in the shop. Just got have the right UV light. The dye I use need 365nm light and most UV lights are around 395nm. Matter the kit that I started out had the wrong light and did a terrible job of lighting up the UV dye. What bugged me was the kit was provide the dye manufacture. I had to email and ask what was the best wavelength to use.
Does the dye need to be flushed from the engine or hydraulic system? I have a seeping leak on my cub 782, and can't pinpoint it

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No. I got a customer that it been in his hydros for the last three years. This how I am separating the engine oil leaks from his hydro leaks. Hoping I finally got all the leaks fixed now.

But personally I like change the oil anyway.

Last edited: