Kohler 15hp runs only on starter fluid!

CharlesR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got an old Murray lawn tractor with a Kohler CV15s motor that that has been sitting in a shed for 7 years. It was operational when it was parked in the shed.
Now, when I looked at it there was no gas in the tank - a good thing - but I can't be sure if it just evaporated over the years. After putting new battery and fresh gas in, engine would start and run a few seconds only when I used starter fluid.

Thinking this indicated a fuel problem it have done the following:
Replaced all fuel hoses (gravity feed) and hose from air breather to crankcase. Replaced fuel filter - oriented correctly. Installed carburetor kit while cleaning it thourghly with carb clearner. Float appeared good with no liquid leaked into it.
The manual said not to mess with the needle valve if it had a cap/limiter on it. It does have a cap that limits rotation to about 3/4 turn. Following instructions, I did not mess with it. I did not remove the choke or throttle plates, just cleaned them. I have never rebuilt such a carb before, I guess I could have done something wrong there - but I sure tried to be carefull!

With fuel solenoid removed, I used a jumper to ground the solenoid case and turned the ignition switch on. Solenoid popped into the down position with no hesitation. Pops back up when key is turned off. It appears to be working properly.
Replaced spark plug - probably not related to this problem but just being thorough.
I have checked that fuel DOES make it into fuel bowl.
After all of this, there was no improvement. Again, engine will run as long as starter fluid is applied. Multiple attempts at adjusting fuel mixture needle produces no noticible results.

After reading other contributions to this forum, it appears I have covered most of the bases. I am at the end of knowledge now. Does anyone have any other ideas?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to another Kansan...

Your engine Runs, when it gets fuel (starter fluid)...
From your description the main jet is clogged or blocked... (need another good cleaning).
At this site: Kohler Carburetor Cleaning and Repair - Detailed photos and descriptions
Locate Your carb & follow the cleaning instructions...
You will get it running, gummed up jets are stubborn but will eventually clean up.... :smile:KennyV

CharlesR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the website link Kenny. Excellent photos show tiny ports that I didn't see when I cleaned carburetor. My eyes are not so good anymore...
I will go back and be sure to get some carb cleaner and compressed air in those tiny holes!
Thanks a lot!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Replace the carburetor needle valve.

CharlesR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replace the carburetor needle valve.
If you are talking about the float valve, I did already.
The service manual explicitly states that the main needle valve is not to be replaced when it has a limiter cap on it, which it does. For this reason there is no replacement in the carb rebuild kit.

CharlesR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much for that link which offers instructions and good photos. I took carb apart again. Previously, I had not removed the welch plug in the side where those tiny ports are located. Although the carb rebuild kit came with a new cover, I was kinda afraid to take the old one out at first. Now I took the cover off and could see some debris in the chamber. Cleaned it all good and blew out with a compressor. Put it all back together and got it started!

The bad news is that the engine makes a knocking sound past half throttle.
I started a new thread on this forum about that:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small-engine-mower-repair/14743-kohler-15hp-engine-makes-knocking-sound-high-rpm.html