Knipex pliers

RayMcD

Threads
Gentlemen, who's using Knipex pliers?. if so what model do you find most appealing. Cheers, Ray

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I haven't tried those. But I sure would like to find a company that's making these kind again. Mine are about worn out. That little space has been a life saver more times than I can count.
1703731912543.png

I was just looking at Knipex's website. Seems they have just about any kind of pliers one might need. And being made in Germany, they're probably of good quality.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I haven't tried those. But I sure would like to find a company that's making these kind again. Mine are about worn out. That
little space has been a life saver more times than I can count.
If unable to find, you could grind w/cut off wheel, same jaw style "lil space".. I'm thinking..

Knipex pliers, no, not not me either..

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If unable to find, you could grind w/cut off wheel, same jaw style "lil space".. I'm thinking..

Knipex pliers, no, not not me either..

I've thought about. But i'd want to have a steady flow of coolant to keep them from overheating and becoming weak.

IDK. Maybe I'll see if I can sharpen the teeth on mine. Maybe with a cutting wheel on the grinder. Or maybe a file.

I bought this pair in a pawn shop decades ago. Let me tell ya', they've saved my butt many times.

I've seen some that were similar. But the small claws were too far back to get a hold of small nuts in tight places.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've thought about. But i'd want to have a steady flow of coolant to keep them from overheating and becoming weak. Agree on that..

IDK. Maybe I'll see if I can sharpen the teeth on mine. Maybe with a cutting wheel on the grinder. Or maybe a file. Worth a try, a file might be pretty challenged. With the tool hardness.

I bought this pair in a pawn shop decades ago. Let me tell ya', they've saved my butt many times. I hear ya, many of my tools are from long ago, but still doing fine.. My old Makita small grinder was from pawn shop also long ago.. Was almost new then & got it cheap.

I've seen some that were similar. But the small claws were too far back to get a hold of small nuts in tight places. I understand. Sounds like you have the right pliers now, just might need some tuning up. (y)

efred

Threads
I haven't tried those. But I sure would like to find a company that's making these kind again. Mine are about worn out. That little space has been a life saver more times than I can count.
View attachment 67511

I was just looking at Knipex's website. Seems they have just about any kind of pliers one might need. And being made in Germany, they're probably of good quality.
Yes, they are. They are VERY high quality, but EXPEN$IVE. I have a pair of small/medium water pump pliers, and they were over $35, some 15 years ago.

4getgto

Threads
Yes, they are. They are VERY high quality, but EXPEN$IVE. I have a pair of small/medium water pump pliers, and they were over $35, some 15 years ago.
Best mini pipe wrench ever..
All I used in instruments air panels.

Oddjob

Threads
I've thought about. But i'd want to have a steady flow of coolant to keep them from overheating and becoming weak.

IDK. Maybe I'll see if I can sharpen the teeth on mine. Maybe with a cutting wheel on the grinder. Or maybe a file.

I bought this pair in a pawn shop decades ago. Let me tell ya', they've saved my butt many times.

I've seen some that were similar. But the small claws were too far back to get a hold of small nuts in tight places.
I collect old tools and have experience sharpening them. That’s going to be really hard steel and not easy to sharpen, but before I took a power tool to my favorite pliers, I’d try an extra extra slim taper saw sharpening file. These are equilateral triangles in cross section. If the file doesn’t just skate (experiment on the top of a jaw), then I’d take a fine mill file and lightly flatten the teeth. This will leave what appear to be plateaus on each tooth. Then run the triangular file in the grooves taking off half the plateau on each side of the tooth until you have a nice sharp inverted ”V”. This will keep the jaws of the pliers parallel to each other and with sharp teeth. I suspect that you only need a light tuneup and not a big reshaping of the teeth. So maybe a file will work. But it is also possible that the plier steel is too hard for a steel file to cut. Good luck.