Kholer XTX Engine difficult to cold start

Jetfan2207

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone! I am stumped. I have a 1 year old Toro walk-behind with a Kholer XTX Engine. It has worked flawlessly until about 3 weeks ago. It is difficult to start(takes 5-8 pulls) when the engine is cold. Not cold outside. Once it is warmed up it will start in 1 pull. I checked the auto-choke to make sure the butterfly is filled closed when cold and it is. I am thinking it is a gummed up carb but the fuel I am using is about a month old and is top tier premium with Stabil added. I run the same age and grade of fuel in my leaf blower and trimmer and those start right up. Plus if he carb was bummed up wouldn’t it always be hard to start? The oil was changed at the end of last season and I cannot imagine the plug is bad within a year. Any ideas what it could be? I am super disappointed. I purchased this from my local dealer and take maticulous care of my stuff. I have never owned a piece of equipment that gave me trouble within a year of purchase.

Thanks so much in advance!

Steve

MowLife

Threads
Possibly a dirty fuel filter? May be a little resistance in the fuel path.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this unit is only one year old, take it back to the dealer, as the engine has a two year warranty. I’ve seen this a few times with the Kohler engine. Need to remove the carb and clean the jets. They are running such small jets that they plug easily. Your dealer will have to get creative with your claim, because fuel problems are not normally covered under warranty.