Kawasaki Valve Guides

Rls8836

Threads
2006 19 hp. Kawasaki, it smokes on startup. I think it’s valve guides letting oil seep by. Can I replace valve guides at home or does a shop need to do the work?

Rls8836

Threads
I think if valve guides can be replaced it will stop the smoking upon start up. Fi can buy guides will I need to buy new valves also?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Smoking at start up can be a sign of overheating causing the oil the thin down too much
When you turn the engine off the thin oil ends up pooling in the combustion chamber and around the rings
Then when you start this oil burns off making the engine smoke for a few minutes
Many times the oil is not actually burning in the engine but in the muffler .

So check the engine for debris build up under the blower housing.
Idleing the engine down before shut off makes this worse .

Rls8836

Threads
Smoking at start up can be a sign of overheating causing the oil the thin down too much
When you turn the engine off the thin oil ends up pooling in the combustion chamber and around the rings
Then when you start this oil burns off making the engine smoke for a few minutes
Many times the oil is not actually burning in the engine but in the muffler .

So check the engine for debris build up under the blower housing.
Idleing the engine down before shut off makes this worse .
I did check the motor housing for debris while cleaning the flywheel and replacing the coils. Can you replace valve quite seals like on a older car?

Rls8836

Threads
Nearly all Kawasaki engine smoke a little when first cranked up and this includes new engines. Unless the engine is using n usual amount of oil don't worry about it.
The motor is an 2006, really doesn’t burn oil as far as smoking while mowing. It just on startups it does this. Figured it was valve guides or I could replace the valve guide seals and help with the skoke.

JD_Driver

Threads
The seals can be replaced with the head on, if you are knowledgeable and resourceful. Air pressure can hold valves on their seats. Will need to compress the valve springs and remove to replace the seals

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would double check the cooling fins as someone was leading to above.

Rls8836

Threads
Ok I’ll double check them. It was all exposed four days ago when I replaced both coils. Thank you