kawasaki motor runs then stalls

volt

Threads
Hello, last week while mowing lawn with 48" walk behind mower with kawasaki motor was running fine. Then suddenly the engine started to stall, just barely made it back into garage.
Changed fuel filter then noticed that air filter 'foam element' was extremely dirty. Cleaned it, and that seemed to be the problem. It ran fine to complete mowing (about 1 hr). Today it did the same thing. Was running fine then started to stall, it helped when I disengaged the blades, and it just barely made it into garage, then stalled.
I would appreciated any suggestions.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Was the foam dirty or oil soaked ?
If oily then the carb float valve has failed and leaked fuel into the sump
Using a mower in that condition is very bad for the engine

volt

Threads
Foam was very dirty. So I replaced it with new one. Now what I suspect is the fuel 'shut off' valve is not opening because when i disconnected it from the fuel filter and opened the valve just a trickle of fuel come out. So I ordered a new fuel shut off valve.

Bertrrr

Threads
Doubt it's your shut off valve, probably trash in the fuel line / tank - blow back through the line - look in the tank with a flashlight .

tassmannn

Forum Newbie
Threads
The same thing has been happening to my JD 777
It is a carburated engine with no ECM and very few things to go wrong...I thought. In the past, it was the fuel pump, and when I changed it, all was right with the world. Well, I've changed the fuel filter, fuel line, return line, and even the fuel shutoff solenoid with all OEM parts (The solenoid was a bear!) I've looked at the schematics, and there really isn't much to this machine. After all of this, it still will run under a load between 15-30 mins, and start to starve for fuel, at least that's my impression. If I stop and choke it, it will start up again, but then I know it's not fixed and run it back to my shop. Gas is clean, and I use fuel additive K-100 in it, and use it a lot so gas sitting in the machine is not an issue. It seems like when it warms up is when these symptoms happen.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated