Kawasaki FX850 Oil Issue

txmowman

Threads
According to the dipstick the oil level is perfect. Do you think I could get a cheap pressure Guage online and check the actual pressure? If so, will that to check it while hot as well?
My mower does not have an oil pressure switch. I like Hustler’s suggestion to just unplug it and check your oil regularly. Unless the engine is about to fail anyway, you likely don’t have low pressure.

Cajun power

Threads
given oil pump failures are rare, I use oil TEMPERATURE SENSORS. For all my machines, I use oil pressure temp sensors in the factory "pressure ports" (threaded with a block plug, usually located near the oil filler tube or oil filter area). I am more interested in oil temp. Living in the deep south, we have many days where temperatures swell into the triple digits. So knowing the temp of the engine as I ride gives me the indication when its a good time to shut things down...check oil levels...check oil condition...and clear any grass debris from the engine cooling fins. It's an easy mod, with simple wiring. Amazon has many different styles to choose from and youtube many videos showing how to wire it up and install the gauge in the instrument/control panel. What I will do is run the engine and notice where the temp reaches it's high temp cycle while driving and mowing. this is very helpful especially in thick stuff and when mowing hills. If the temp reaches above a certain point, I shut it down and take a long break, or just swap with one of the other mowers we have have (it's a very large piece of property and we have 4 commercial grade mowers and 3 operators). Heat is what kills these air cooled engines and wears them out more than any other factor. Keeping them within a reasonable temperature range helps eliminate alot big expenses and down time.

Chevymanrc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just a heads up, I switched over to 20-50 conventional oil and the problem went away. Also I think my last oil change was 10-40 which looks to be the lowest recommended oil and I'm guessing maybe in cooler climates. I will keep you posted with any updates.