Kawasaki FX 730 V

John R

Threads
Just bought a new Scag Tiger Cat II with the FX 730 V engine, anyone else on here have this engine, and how is it holding up in the long haul?

Dealer said it was a great engine, but he sells them.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Kawasaki FX730V is a fine engine which is what powers my 2012 Hustler X-ONE.
With a new machine, the engine warranty from Kawasaki is probably 36 months.
With this in mind, several conditions must be met to maintain the engine warranty.
Using Kawasaki engine oil filters is recommended.
Use the recommended engine oil per the operators manual.
Save sales receipts and record oil and filter changes.
To my knowledge Kawasaki doesn't supply any type of synthetic engine oil.
The FX engine has the two stage air filtration system installed. Do not shake or blow out these air filters as they filter better when somewhat dirty.
Change these filters at the recommended hours per the Kawasaki operators manual.
Your Tiger Cat II may have the optional air filter monitoring system.
Although not specified in the machine operators manual, the pump drive belt replacement interval is 400 hours per the machine service manual.
My local Scag dealer streamlines their product options by stocking machines with specific make and model engines. This reduces the parts that need to be stocked and reduces servicing/turnaround time of the machines/engines.
Having been a mech, service manager and parts manager at different times in my past, I'm aware of the things that contribute to a smoother operating business.
Just a few thoughts from Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have had bad luck with the fx engines.
Lost 2 of them on the same mower. Less than 200 hours. Went with a kohler pro for the 3rd engine.
I love the hydro lifters. Never have to adjust valves.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cars, what failed on the Kaws, please

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is no such thing as the "perfect" engine.
There are many Kawasaki FX730 and smaller engines around in use and generally are performing as expected.
As for the engines larger than the FX730, there have been some other than normal problems with these engines.
The out of control EPA continues to stiffen the emissions requirements as time passes and all small engine manufacturers that produce larger horsepower engines are trying hard to comply by further leaning out air/fuel mixtures. The EPA would love to force these manufacturers to have to install a catalytic converter in order to be compliant. The cost of this would be extreme and put some small engine manufacturers/power equipment manufacturers out of business. The manufacturers that survived would have to produce and sell machines that had a substantial price increase.

John R

Threads
Government regulations, gotta love em.:wink:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is no such thing as the "perfect" engine.
There are many Kawasaki FX730 and smaller engines around in use and generally are performing as expected.
As for the engines larger than the FX730, there have been some other than normal problems with these engines.
The out of control EPA continues to stiffen the emissions requirements as time passes and all small engine manufacturers that produce larger horsepower engines are trying hard to comply by further leaning out air/fuel mixtures. The EPA would love to force these manufacturers to have to install a catalytic converter in order to be compliant. The cost of this would be extreme and put some small engine manufacturers/power equipment manufacturers out of business. The manufacturers that survived would have to produce and sell machines that had a substantial price increase.

I can purchase an aftermarket high flow cat for $50. Bring on the EPA.:biggrin: