Kawasaki FR691V Hard to rebuild?

johnybzeroturn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cannot seem to find any videos or info on line on rebuilding a Kawasaki FR691V 24hp motor it is in my RZ5424 zero turn mower it started smoking alot last year and I had been using it this year thinking I would get to it and the other day it seized while I was moving it out of the shed, a new engine is $1200+ I found a B&S for $900 but I have rebuilt quad engines, I don't want to turn it into a basket case.

MRCo.

Threads
Just the same as any engine of that type. Sounds like you might have a heavy parts bill. Take in to account your time and maybe a new engine isn't that crazy an idea...

Nwatson99

Threads
Just the same as any engine of that type. Sounds like you might have a heavy parts bill. Take in to account your time and maybe a new engine isn't that crazy an idea...

I agree and if the parts were 40% or more of a new one, then the new one with warranty is the way I would go.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suggest that you consider a new repower and upgrade to a Kawasaki FS730V or FX730V series engines. The FX engines have the two stage canister air filtering system that you may want to think about.

gregjo1948

Threads
If the engine seized, your parts to rebuild will probably cost you too much. The crank and rods will have to be replaced, because there's no replaceable bearings. If you can buy a new engine for $1200.00, and spend about 2 hours installing it, I think that's the way to go. gregjo1948

Big-Al

Threads
Just out of curiosity how many hrs on the motor ?

dnewton3

Threads
If the engine truly "seized" up, then it's going to be a lot cheaper and easier to get a repower.

Use any of the large discount engine warehouses and put in your criteria, and narrow your search. Perhaps even call their help line for some assistance in matching up the criteria as best possbile.

granger3

Threads
Is a "new repower" just a new engine?
I've got a FR651V that may have two broken rods & was contemplating doing a rebuild since a new 651v runs around $1600.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
It would be a complete new engine, but without a muffler and would have at least a 24 month warranty. I recommend an FS or FX engine with the same size crankshaft. The FS engine has a standard air filtration system similar to your FR engine, and FX engine will have the two stage Donald Air Filtration system which I recommend providing there is room for it on your machine. Go to kawpower.com and check out the specs on FR, FS and FX engines.
you will not see many FR repower engines available in the aftermarket as FS and FX engines are more desirable and not much more expensive than FR engines.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile: