Kawasaki FR651V Runs then dies randomly

Josh01010

Threads
Update: Fresh gas, new bushing, new fuel lines and it seemed to run well (not being too hopeful). It did hiccup once but that was it. It doesn't run well at low throttle so there may still be some gremlins...need to look at fuel pump line from crankcase to see if it has any cracks. My fuel transfer test didn't show any issues, it moved about a quart of gas in under 2 minutes which seems more than ample. My testing with the hillbilly setup shows it uses about a pint every 15 minutes, or 1 gallon per hour.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Update: Fresh gas, new bushing, new fuel lines and it seemed to run well (not being too hopeful). It did hiccup once but that was it. It doesn't run well at low throttle so there may still be some gremlins...need to look at fuel pump line from crankcase to see if it has any cracks. My fuel transfer test didn't show any issues, it moved about a quart of gas in under 2 minutes which seems more than ample. My testing with the hillbilly setup shows it uses about a pint every 15 minutes, or 1 gallon per hour.
With the age on those lines, I would replace all of them. It’s cheap enough.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
PTO diode is there to prevent spikes when the PTO is engaged & disengaged not while the PTO is running, just when it is switching

Tdj2591

Threads
I have a Toro TimeCutterZ with a FR651V engine. (circa 2010). This season it has been plagued with stalling issues. When cold it will fire right up with choke out, push in and runs smooth. At times it may run for 15-20 minutes before it dies. It will usually restart just fine but will die quickly with light load on engine (PTO on/off, driving). Sometimes pulling the choke will keep it running, but no power. It seems to get caught in cycle of revving/bogging, you can see the governor opening/closing the carb.

I have replaced Plugs, Coils, Fuel Pump, Carburetor, Fuel Filter. At this point I'm at a loss. Plugs do get a little dirty, but I think that's due to the stalling issue and not the cause. I checked the valve lash and was a little out on one cylinder (exhaust), adjusted and no difference.

Digging around on this forum I may try the 'alternate' fuel tank option to rule out any funny business there.
I have the same mower. Since it did not come with a fuel filter I added an in-line filter.

moparjoe

Threads
I have a Toro TimeCutterZ with a FR651V engine. (circa 2010). This season it has been plagued with stalling issues. When cold it will fire right up with choke out, push in and runs smooth. At times it may run for 15-20 minutes before it dies. It will usually restart just fine but will die quickly with light load on engine (PTO on/off, driving). Sometimes pulling the choke will keep it running, but no power. It seems to get caught in cycle of revving/bogging, you can see the governor opening/closing the carb.

I have replaced Plugs, Coils, Fuel Pump, Carburetor, Fuel Filter. At this point I'm at a loss. Plugs do get a little dirty, but I think that's due to the stalling issue and not the cause. I checked the valve lash and was a little out on one cylinder (exhaust), adjusted and no difference.

Digging around on this forum I may try the 'alternate' fuel tank option to rule out any funny business there.
Check the fuel line from the tank.

mervcasteel

Forum Newbie
Threads

I had same thing happening . finally figured out that I was tightening gas cap ( 3" diameter) down too tight and it must be causing a vacuum situation . All I had to do was leave cap backed off tight and problem has stopped

STEVES

Threads
cap vent plugged

jviews12

Threads
I WASH OUT FUEL TANKS when I get a new power device (lawnmower saw snowblower ...). I also replace fuel line if it looks crusty.
This saves me sooooo much time as I do not buy parts which are not required.

How about the gas cap causing a vaccum. Try with gas cap loose.

as for the diod. Why are you thinking this. This would be a dead battery issue for no charging circuit.

i do not believe this is a charging issue, but measure voltage at battery before start and when running. It should be more when running indicating charging circuit ok (could fail later).

moparjoe

Threads

Check the fuel shutoff solenoid on the bottom of the carb. It might be going bad and it will shut off the fuel.

RevB

Threads

Check your tank for debris.....