Kawasaki blowing smoke intermittenly, burning oil

arch252

Threads
  • / Kawasaki blowing smoke intermittenly, burning oil
What, if anything, is this an indication of?

Attachments

• 20160902_134459 (1).jpg
    20160902_134459 (1).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 26

577jersey

Threads
Looks like oil burning on half of the combustion chamber part of the piston..ID like to see the head and the rest of the piston and rings too...complete tear down bro..lol
Hard for me to tell if its seeping past the rings or coming in from the top?

But we already know your smoke is coming from oil through breather so maybe its just showing us the spot where your intake valve is dumping/burning oil on top of piston too?

arch252

Threads
Yeah, I was really trying to avoid the tear down, but it wasn't bad once I finally accepted that it had to be done. That being caused by the burnt oil coming in through the intake would make complete sense. I attached photos of the head and rings. Keep in mind that I replaced that head gasket a few weeks ago and the head and piston were clean as a whistle. This is all how it looks after about 3 hours of run time.

Attachments

• 20160904_153110_1473021959526.jpg
    20160904_153110_1473021959526.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20160904_142750_1473021960140.jpg
    20160904_142750_1473021960140.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 18

mhavanti

Threads
I would be interested in seeing a ring sitting in the piston ring land for depth. Also, remove the valve springs and feel the movement in the guide with the valve stem. There is a lot of oil around the intake valve which can be guides and wear on the stem as well as pulling oil (pushing from bottom end pressure) up thru the breather (intake).

Slide a ring into the ring land, see how deep it sits inside the land. It should only sit about .002 to .008 deeper than the width of the ring itself. A mower motor may have more clearance, however, I don't remember it if it does. Hopefully Bert jumps in on the clearances soon.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you replace the intake valve stem seal ?
Did you clean the piston prior to fitting the new rings and in particular did you clean the ring grooves ?
They look very clean to me
The piston seals by gas getting under the ring and forcing it onto the bore.
In order to do this the side clearence and the rear clearence are critical .0005 too much side play and the rings can not seal.
Next question is what did the bore look like and did you hone it prior to fitting the rings ?
What oil did you use , rings have difficulty sealing when synthetic oil is used on brand new rings.
Was the piston fitted wet or dry.
Pistons should go in the engine dry, use little solvent like metho, to wet the bore just enough to get the rings in .
I refit them totally dry
Finally, never ever refit an old head gasket unless it is a copper one that you have annealed after you removed it.

arch252

Threads
I have not replaced the stem seals. I have cleaned the piston and it is clean in that photo. I can't get the new rings in until Wednesday so I haven't done any yet, just pull it apart. The cylinder is very nice nad smooth. I was debating about whether to hone it or not. That head gasket only has three hours on it so I was hoping to reuse it. It's the thin metal gasket.

577jersey

Threads
Well if you put new rings in I would hone it a little,,the old bore is broke in to the old rings,,just a quick hone,Ive even dont it by hand with sand paper on small engines with great results,,just make sure to cross hatch it evenly.You should lap the valves and do the stem seals.

mhavanti

Threads
Tom,

Another way to do it is to take a wooden dowel if you don't own or have use of a hone. Cut a slit down the center of the wooden dowel the length of the width of your paper or emery cloth. Use a dowel as large as your hand drill will chuck up. Run the paper up and down fairly slowly until you get a cross hatch about 35 degrees down to 25 degrees.

Will get you up and running. If there is any ridge at the top of the bore, remove that ridge, then hone.

Saves your hand.

577jersey

Threads
Yeah kinda like a flap hone..good idea...Ive only done it by hand on my stihl weed eater,,very small bore.

mhavanti

Threads
Get to a race track, find you left the hone and assortment of stones, you use what you can make on the spot.