Kawaaski FR651V - FX air box conversion

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
I just don't how long the plastic engine shroud is going to hold up to the vibrations and the weight of the Donaldson air cleaner

Mine does not bolt to the plastic engine shroud at all.

It uses the 2 bolts the original air filter door uses... and there is metal that the bolts screw in to.

So the bracket is bolting in to metal that is underneath the engine shroud, not to the plastic shroud itself.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now just where is the metal is on the FR730V that the adapter is mounting to? The air filter cover screws don't even go all the way through the shroud.
IMAG0153.jpg
IMAG0150.jpg
The only mounting place is holes on the lower side of the intake manifold and those are not FS or FR filter cover screw holes.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Same dang engine crankcase block 49120-0935. Even the same cylinder heads, pistons, crankshaft, and rods.
1709841595148.png

1709831544209.png

1709831470532.png

Last edited:

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Same dang engine crankcase block 49120-0935. Even the same cylinder heads, pistons, crankshaft, and rods.

Don't know what to tell ya... when you take the screws out to remove the OE air filter door, there is metal back there where these screws go in to.

So, no need to worry about my air filter upgrade as the bracket will be bolted in to metal and be very sturdy thumbsup10.gif

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now just where is the metal is on the FR730V that the adapter is mounting to? The air filter cover screws don't even go all the way through the shroud.
View attachment 67981
View attachment 67982
The only mounting place is holes on the lower side of the intake manifold and those are not FS or FR filter cover screw holes.
You are correct. The bracket that comes with the kit mounts to the plastic engine shroud. The two screws that hold the filter door on are reused for the mounting bracket. The setup looks kind of flimsy to me.

Lawn Addict
Threads
View attachment 67981
View attachment 67982
Beings I remove my plastic blower housing every year end, I can confirm there is NO metal there to support that Donaldson..
You are correct. The bracket that comes with the kit mounts to the plastic engine shroud. The two screws that hold the filter door on are reused for the mounting bracket. The setup looks kind of flimsy to me.
It is a flimsy set up w/that kit..

Here's what it's like in there. https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/52096-Kawaaski-FR651V-FX-air-box-conversion

RayMcD

Threads
So why would you do this conversion, maybe because the oem filter is so far down it picks up way to much crap in the filter causing you clean it way to often, LOL

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So why would you do this conversion, maybe because the oem filter is so far down it picks up way to much crap in the filter causing you clean it way to often, LOL
Because they leak if you are not very careful when you replace them and because Kawasaki use really soft rings so they will wear out in no time flat, particularly if used on a ZTR with a bagger
And as mentioned before, I fit the filter to the ROPS frame so it is not in the way