Just purchased my first John Deere

Howdy Doody

Threads
I got the cub this past April now with over 900 hours on it starts and drives just as if it was new.

It gives a very good cut.
My brother inlaw came to help me with a few yards with his D130. He could not hang with me in the tall thick grass.

With over 900 hours I have had to replace
Both front tires
Spindle bearings.
3 blade belts.
And the normal things like blades, oil , filters.
Have not had to replace drive belts and they still look good.
Hold hills better than any riding mower I have used.
Every year I buy a new mower this was my first cub cadet and the best mower I have used in this price range. I will use it again this year rather then buy a new one.

I have not used the craftsman but as a rule I like craftsman.

IMO john Deere makes very good tractors for the farm but cheap mowers.

I have also read from various blogs by so called "experts" that say that the Kawasaki in the Cub is not the same quality as the Kawasaki's that are in the commercial models. I would have to call duh on that, but would still thing even the lower end Kawasaki would be better than the Kohler or the Briggs. This same "expert" had also wrote, after I mentioned the Cub has mostly bad reviews due to deck problems that the factory had re-routed the belts "incorrectly" on about a 1000 decks before they found the problem and solved it. Ever heard any of these rumors?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remember reviews online are usually meaningless. Especially craftsman and cub as they are residential grade so you get a lot of people who assume they by a machine and it'll cut to long of grass don't know how to maintain etc so my opinion is that there are to many inexperienced reviews so take those for what they are worth. I usually scroll through looking for someone who says they run a company or uses it commercially they put more hours on it than a homeowner and generally knows how to maintain and use the machine.

And personally I agree out of the three the cub is the best I personally don't like any craftsman they are the pinicle of homeowner and are the cheapest there parts show. John seers is decent but that deere badge is what you are paying more for more than the machine.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have also read from various blogs by so called "experts" that say that the Kawasaki in the Cub is not the same quality as the Kawasaki's that are in the commercial models. I would have to call duh on that, but would still thing even the lower end Kawasaki would be better than the Kohler or the Briggs. This same "expert" had also wrote, after I mentioned the Cub has mostly bad reviews due to deck problems that the factory had re-routed the belts "incorrectly" on about a 1000 decks before they found the problem and solved it. Ever heard any of these rumors?

Ha ha it is very easy to put the belt on wrong.
I like the kohler engine only because I know them. The Kawasaki engine is a very very good engine and the engines they put in residential mowers is just as dependable as their Pro ones.

Does the expert cut grass for a living?

The experts always just read reviews then reword things.

It's like people saying if you buy the JD 130 at lowes it is not the same mower as the 130 at the dealer. But it is the exact same mower.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Really not trying to push the cub on you.
Just giving you my honest review of it.

Howdy Doody

Threads
Really not trying to push the cub on you.
Just giving you my honest review of it.

So the unit that you have 900 hours on is the same unit one could buy at Tractor Supply or one of the other box stores with the Kawasaki engine? If so, why did you not buy a "dealer only" unit that is made for commercial use?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
So the unit that you have 900 hours on is the same unit one could buy at Tractor Supply or one of the other box stores with the Kawasaki engine? If so, why did you not buy a "dealer only" unit that is made for commercial use?

Yes the unit I have they sell at tractor supply. I do buy from the dealer.

I do foreclosed homes and I find it is best to use a riding mower. Got the cub because my wife liked it.

I have no need to spend the extra money on a commercial mower.

Howdy Doody

Threads
Yes the unit I have they sell at tractor supply. I do buy from the dealer.

I do foreclosed homes and I find it is best to use a riding mower. Got the cub because my wife liked it.

I have no need to spend the extra money on a commercial mower.

Great, thanks for your help!

mullins87

Threads
I have one of the John Deere entry models, the LA175, and it has performed very well for me. It is an entry level model as my 335 with the Kawasaki motor is like a cadillac compared to it. However, a buddy at work has the Cub 1042KW and is very pleased with it as well. I can't speak for the Craftsman, never owned one or had a friend that owned one. I'd pick between the Cub and the Deere.

Howdy Doody

Threads
I have one of the John Deere entry models, the LA175, and it has performed very well for me. It is an entry level model as my 335 with the Kawasaki motor is like a cadillac compared to it. However, a buddy at work has the Cub 1042KW and is very pleased with it as well. I can't speak for the Craftsman, never owned one or had a friend that owned one. I'd pick between the Cub and the Deere.

I think the idea of buying a John Deere over another brand has to do more with the name than anything else. Kind of like buying a Harley Davidson over a Yamaha or a Honda motorcycle. You know the others are just as good, maybe better, but you just want the name. I wish the John Deere had the features of the Cub, it would be a no brainer. I am going to test drive all of them before I made a decision, who knows, maybe I will just hate the John Deere and love the Cub? The Craftsman does have ONE thing that I would love to have and that is the tight turn technology. The John Deere X304 also has this, but the price is more than double. I know I am comparing apples to oranges with the Craftsman and the X304, but the X series is overkill for 1/2 acre. Thanks for your input.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The cub cadet ltx 1040 has a very good tight turn. 42 inch deck with a kohler
Around $1400.