Just got my first zero turn 2005 Gravely 152Z

TrickyRicky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi just bought my first used zero turn mower. Gravely 152z 25hp Kohler 2005 . Machine has 950 hrs and needs some work. Just going to be used for my 3acre yard so once I get some repairs done and parts bolted up I hope to get many years of use out of it. Maybe the knowledgeable members might be able to help me through some questions I may have. Rick

Mike88se

Threads
Hi just bought my first used zero turn mower. Gravely 152z 25hp Kohler 2005 . Machine has 950 hrs and needs some work. Just going to be used for my 3acre yard so once I get some repairs done and parts bolted up I hope to get many years of use out of it. Maybe the knowledgeable members might be able to help me through some questions I may have. Rick

Congrats! Once you get it going you'll love it. Post the questions in the general mower repair forum. The Gravely forum isn't useful as far as I've seen.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnWorld!

We moved your thread to the Gravely/Ariens forum.

DJF007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Glad you like it. I bought a new 260Z" with the 28HP Kaw, back in 2007 have had it for 7 years trouble free years and love it. I've got about 600 totally trouble free hours on the clock as of now. You pay premium money for a Gravely but get a tank built to last the rest of your life.

I also mow 3 acres around the house here in the Ozarks. I bought a used trail behind Swisher 60" for about $600. I use the Gravely by itself to mow around bushes, 24 fruit trees, around the house and power poles and do the fenced in back yard. That takes about 80 minutes total. Then I hook up the 60" trail behind giving me a total of a 10' swath cut each pass. That allows me to cut the bulk of the grass in the front in a little over an hour saving me at least 80 mowing minutes each time I mow. The Swisher only has a 10 hp motor so the time saved mowing saves gas as well. It's a 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hour job without using the Swisher depending on how high I let it grow between mowing..

I have only been doing basic maintenance on mine for now. Annual oil changes, new air filter, gas filter and sharpening the blades. Sometimes I need to sharpen the blades in mid season as well depending on how many rocks I manage to catch and nick the blades. I can resharpen the blades for about 3 years before needing to replace them. I just started on my 3rd set. I've found eBay sources for the genuine heavy duty blades giving me 9 for $80 (free shipping and no tax) which saves me 70% over buying them from the shop where I bought the mower. I'll probably get them to service the hydraulics when they are due but that's years in the future as I only add about 80-90 hours a year on the clock.

Hope you get as much reliable service out of yours as I've been getting. I've got neighbors mowing just as much yard as me who buy Husqies, Craftsman, Poulan's and other junk and end up replacing them every 3-5 years and have to spend lots of expensive and inconvenient down time with them in the shop every year in order to get even that much service. It's true (at least with Gravely) that you get what you pay for.

Keep those big rear tires at around 9-10 psi and the small front ones around 16-20 psi for a lot smoother ride. I got mine home when I bought it new and the rear tires had 28 psi and it rode like a flat car with no shocks. The tires actually say to run them at 10 psi. Do that and you'll get a lot smoother ride.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad you like it. I bought a new 260Z" with the 28HP Kaw, back in 2007 have had it for 7 years trouble free years and love it. I've got about 600 totally trouble free hours on the clock as of now. You pay premium money for a Gravely but get a tank built to last the rest of your life.

I also mow 3 acres around the house here in the Ozarks. I bought a used trail behind Swisher 60" for about $600. I use the Gravely by itself to mow around bushes, 24 fruit trees, around the house and power poles and do the fenced in back yard. That takes about 80 minutes total. Then I hook up the 60" trail behind giving me a total of a 10' swath cut each pass. That allows me to cut the bulk of the grass in the front in a little over an hour saving me at least 80 mowing minutes each time I mow. The Swisher only has a 10 hp motor so the time saved mowing saves gas as well. It's a 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hour job without using the Swisher depending on how high I let it grow between mowing..

I have only been doing basic maintenance on mine for now. Annual oil changes, new air filter, gas filter and sharpening the blades. Sometimes I need to sharpen the blades in mid season as well depending on how many rocks I manage to catch and nick the blades. I can resharpen the blades for about 3 years before needing to replace them. I just started on my 3rd set. I've found eBay sources for the genuine heavy duty blades giving me 9 for $80 (free shipping and no tax) which saves me 70% over buying them from the shop where I bought the mower. I'll probably get them to service the hydraulics when they are due but that's years in the future as I only add about 80-90 hours a year on the clock.

Hope you get as much reliable service out of yours as I've been getting. I've got neighbors mowing just as much yard as me who buy Husqies, Craftsman, Poulan's and other junk and end up replacing them every 3-5 years and have to spend lots of expensive and inconvenient down time with them in the shop every year in order to get even that much service. It's true (at least with Gravely) that you get what you pay for.

Keep those big rear tires at around 9-10 psi and the small front ones around 16-20 psi for a lot smoother ride. I got mine home when I bought it new and the rear tires had 28 psi and it rode like a flat car with no shocks. The tires actually say to run them at 10 psi. Do that and you'll get a lot smoother ride.

Good to hear another Gravely owner describe the durability, performance and long term investment worthiness of their machine. I bought my 2012 52" Pro-Turn 100 XDZ as a retirement investment and only have about 55 hours on it over 1.5 seasons(bought it in the Fall of 2012 and didn't use it much until last summer). I'm convinced that if I keep it maintained properly it'll most likely outlive me....my son....and my grandson will inherit it and be mowing his yard with it!!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Welcome to the growing Gravely family on the forums!!! Even at 950 hours...you will get a lot of service after you get it back in good shape!!