Just bought :/

CauZey

Threads
Just bought a stihl kombi power head KM55R off CL with a tiller, adjustable hedge trimmer, and edger attachment all in one deal. Thought it was a steal but never got to use it got it home and it fires up great but won't rev out all the way like it should and is bogging down. ? Is what to do now has anyone on here had this issue? Should I just buy a carb or what. Thanks in advance

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Carbs probably gummed up. Dealer can try to clean, but todays carbs have gotten so cheap, might be cheaper to go that route.

CauZey

Threads
That's what I was thinking :(

RALLY

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pull out the muffler screen its probably clogged up.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, take a 5/8 or 16mm sockect and unscrew the muffler tube and on the inside of it is a screen that could be coked up with carbon, if so,
clean it by burning it off, and then wash and dry out your air filter in a good dishsoap.

CauZey

Threads
Burn it with like a butane torch?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
yeah, that'll work. just burn it a while then tap out the ashes.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just bought a stihl kombi power head KM55R off CL with a tiller, adjustable hedge trimmer, and edger attachment all in one deal. Thought it was a steal but never got to use it got it home and it fires up great but won't rev out all the way like it should and is bogging down. ? Is what to do now has anyone on here had this issue? Should I just buy a carb or what. Thanks in advance

Pull out the muffler screen its probably clogged up.

Yes, take a 5/8 or 16mm sockect and unscrew the muffler tube and on the inside of it is a screen that could be coked up with carbon, if so,
clean it by burning it off, and then wash and dry out your air filter in a good dishsoap.

The screen that I think they are talking about is the spark arresting screen and most of the professional model trimmers and edgers it will be mounted on the side of the muffler, you don't need to remove anything to clean it. All you need is what they call a torx bit to remove one screw and the screen simply slides out and you'll use a small wire brush to clean it, then just reverse the process to install. You don't need to burn anything.

Another style that stihl uses is the tube type spark arresting screen and it is held in by a spring clip and it will be on the back of the muffler and in that case just remover the spring clip with a pair of pliers and remove the screen by pulling the screen out with the same pliers, clean it the same way and reinstall, I have that type on the BR 380 and you have the type that takes a 5/8 socket from the back of the muffler, unscrew it and just wire brush the screen and re-install. There all really pretty simple. For the most part your not going to find much carbon build up, what you will find is a black soot that's removed very easy.

Last edited:

CauZey

Threads
Well I took off the muffler and it still runs like crap. So I'm guessing carb?

Mikel1

Threads
I have this same model, string trimmer, pole saw and brush cutter. The spark arrestor screen can clog up and make it run like crap, if at all. I only had that happen when I decided to use 40:1 mix since I had ran out of 50:1 mix. A new carb is a little over $30, watch out for some dealers with old stock selling them for $100. Also a good idea to replace fuel filter and fuel lines.