John Deere X739

mafrentress

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,
I am new to the forum but I am looking for help. I have a JD X739 which I really like, I have a mulching kit attachment which I use for my 5 acres. I have had a problem come up recently that I cannot get resolved. Recently when mowing my grass I have noticed more grass clumps left behind than normal. I called my JD dealer and he said my deck was off by close to 1 inch so he leveled it for me. When mowing today my normal height setting is around 3 1/4 when starting to mow I noticed it was cutting way shorter than what it had been so I raised it to 3 3/4. There was a huge amount of grass left in clumps behind that I have never encountered at that high of setting. My neighbor was mowing and his grass was a good 1/2 inch higher than my height. I asked him what setting he was on and he said 3 1/4. That did not make sense as to why his grass was higher at a lower setting with no clumps left behind. Any advice out there would be great, I am left scratching my head for answers.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Welcome!

Has your X739 ever cut completely to your satisfaction? When did it?
Has there been heavy rain to coincide with this new condition?

I admit that I like to cut higher in the usually dryer, mid and late summer.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
My thought would be they leveled it to the lower rather than the upper. Front of deck got pulled down on inch by you using mower. They lowered back of deck to match instead of raising front of deck to match. I would return to dealer to have them fix it.

Nwatson99

Threads
Pick up one of these level gauges and set your blades using it.
LEVELGAUGE.jpg

First clean out from under your deck, clean your blades really good, sharpen and balance them.
Then place your mower on a level concrete area.
Set your deck height to the preferred cutting height which you have indicated 3 1/4"
Then turn your blades straight flowing left to right on your deck and use the gauge to measure the front bottom tips of the blades on each side to make sure your blades and deck are level from left to right, if they are not then level your deck and since 3 1/4" your preferred setting then use that.
Once your deck is leveled left to right, then turn both blades front to rear, measuring the front bottom tips of the blades set the front of the deck to 3 1/4".
With the deck still in the same position measure the tips of the blades to the rear of the deck, you want to make sure those readings are the same but the measurement you are wanting is 3 3/8" to 3 1/2", but you do not want to exceed 3 1/2".

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I purchased one of those this year. Best $7.00 I ever spent. So much easier than using a tape measure.

Nwatson99

Threads
I purchased one of those this year. Best $7.00 I ever spent. So much easier than using a tape measure.

No kidding, handy little tool and I am going to buy a spare next trip to the dealership just to have.