John Deere LX277 won"t drive forward or back.

bookguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
It stopped suddenly while mowing my yard. I didn't notice any unusual sounds, the engine still runs and the blades will still engage but it just won"t go.
Mine is the model with front wheel steering.

granger3

Threads
Check your traction drive pulley on your transaxle.
I've seen many of those get striped out.

bookguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, that's exactly what the problem was. While we had the mower apart we found some other bad bearings and worn belts and
went through the whole thing and now it runs like new. I was thankful it wasn't the hydrostat which probably have been the end for
my trusty old mower. Thanks again for the helpful advise. bookguy

HotIron

Forum Newbie
Threads
My John Deere LX277 just quit going forward or backward. Acts as if free wheeling control is on. I just bought the LX277 as part of a house purchase. While using the 42 inch blade to push snow, the tractor just quit moving. I had run the tractor for a couple of hours moving heavy Iowa snow and it worked good, then just stopped moving. While pushing and towing back to the garage, it acted as if the freewheeling control was on. Freewheeling control on or off makes no difference. I see on this forum page to check the traction drive pulley as it could be stripped. I assume I will have to remove the seat, fenders, and gas tank to get to this. What strips on the traction drive pulley and how do I check for this?

logert gogert

Threads
My John Deere LX277 just quit going forward or backward. Acts as if free wheeling control is on. I just bought the LX277 as part of a house purchase. While using the 42 inch blade to push snow, the tractor just quit moving. I had run the tractor for a couple of hours moving heavy Iowa snow and it worked good, then just stopped moving. While pushing and towing back to the garage, it acted as if the freewheeling control was on. Freewheeling control on or off makes no difference. I see on this forum page to check the traction drive pulley as it could be stripped. I assume I will have to remove the seat, fenders, and gas tank to get to this. What strips on the traction drive pulley and how do I check for this?
what transmission do you have?
and btw, welcome to the forum, there are alot of good people on here with alot of knoweldege and will help you out

HotIron

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am not sure what transmission it is, but it is a two wheel drive. Internet searches suggest a TuffTork K62. My LX27 tractor serial number M0L277C023851.

logert gogert

Threads
is there a clutch and do you have to shift?
or do you just press a pedal and it goes

AVB

Threads
First Logert it appears you have an attitude problem much like Deere2Me that the Moderators and I got rid of over on PPETEN several years ago. Instead first assuming what the poster has try looking the equipment first. For John Deere the best site is jdparts.deere.com which you can bookmark the following page once you select you default language.

Holtron, If it is free wheeling with the Tuff Torq K62B engaged raise the rearend. While holding one still try turning the other end. Does it try to the wheel you holding the opposite direction or just free wheels? If it free wheels remove both rear wheels and check that axle shaft square keys are still in place. If the are in place then you something broken internally in the transaxle. But with you using it a hours before it failed I do suspect internal problems.

HotIron

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will jack it up and try to turn the wheels as you said. Thanks.

logert gogert

Threads
attidtude? i peomise you i had no attidtude, soemm times people can take a text message the wrong way, then what the sender intended it to sound like