John Deere LT155 Starter overun.

JBASport

Threads
Hi, I actually posted in one of the other threads regarding my sluggish hydrostatic unit. It was suggested I drive it up a small slope and test whether it is hard to push down the slope. So I thought I would give it a try, only problem is that it has been sitting a while. On hooking everything up, when I turn the ignition key and release it, the starter bendix still engages, so the power is still being received by the starter. I assume the fault lies either with the starter solenoid or key assembly. How do I check to see which would be the likely culprit. Thanks, Terry

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the trigger wire off the solenoid
It should show 0 V at all times except then the key is turned to the S position
From memory that unit has a starting relay which can also fail closed so energises the starter solenoid full time

JBASport

Threads
Hi, I have just done that and I only get a meter reading when switching to start, when I release the key switch there is no reading. I therefore assume the solenoid must be the culprit. I have had a look on line for a replacement and the OEM ones are really expensive. Will a generic one do, if so, what should I be looking for? Thanks for your help. Terry

CraigH

Threads
Is there definitely 12v going to the starter after you've started the engine?
Only asking as if the mowers sat for a while, it could be the starter gear getting stuck in the up position and meshing with the flywheel, have you taken the starter off and had a look over it and cleaned it up?

JBASport

Threads
Only asking as if the mowers sat for a while, it could be the starter gear getting stuck in the up position and meshing with the flywheel, have you taken the starter off and had a look over it and cleaned it up?
Hi, Yes. The starter bendix is working fine as it is a relatively new starter motor. Reckon it must be the solenoid. Terry

CraigH

Threads
Yes, sounds like it could well be the solenoid, or possibly the relay Bert mentioned earlier, I'd certainly be doing some serious investigating/testing before replacing things though.

JBASport

Threads
Not sure how to test the relay? Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi, I have just done that and I only get a meter reading when switching to start, when I release the key switch there is no reading. I therefore assume the solenoid must be the culprit. I have had a look on line for a replacement and the OEM ones are really expensive. Will a generic one do, if so, what should I be looking for? Thanks for your help. Terry
That is exactly what you should see
battery voltage at the solenoid trigger wire to trip the solenoid which closes the connection between the heavy cables to the starter .
Now for test 2
Get a short piece of wire and jump from the battery lead on the top of the solenoid to the trigger wire terminal you just checked
Every time the wire touches the terminal the solenoid should trip & the starter spin
This is assuming there is only 1 small wire at the base of the solenoid
If there are 2 then the other one must be ground
let us know what happens

jimbo@32

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is exactly what you should see
battery voltage at the solenoid trigger wire to trip the solenoid which closes the connection between the heavy cables to the starter .
Now for test 2
Get a short piece of wire and jump from the battery lead on the top of the solenoid to the trigger wire terminal you just checked
Every time the wire touches the terminal the solenoid should trip & the starter spin
This is assuming there is only 1 small wire at the base of the solenoid
If there are 2 then the other one must be ground
let us know what happens
John Deere is Notarios for a problem similar to this. Its either in the switch or wiring to starter not carrying enough voltage. I've had 2 that I just bypassed switch and put push button on and problem solved.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
John Deere is Notarios for a problem similar to this
Really ?
Never hear of this before so it must be very localised .
Would you please explain how not carrying enough voltage causes the starter to continue to spin after the key is released ?
I would really like to know so when I get a rash of this happening I can fix it
Now I only have around 40 JD's on my books, mostly 100 series , LX's , LT's & STX's and have ye to see this happen on a single one
Perhaps JD export all the good ones to Oz & keep the junk ones for the USA