John Deere LT 155

Rls8836

Threads
The mower steering wheel is hanging up when completing a turn. Usually I’m turning to the right. That is generally the direction I mow to. It won’t straighten. If I slightly turn back to the right it will then turn back to the straight position. I haven’t had it up on jack stands yet to investigate it. All tie rods look okay. I’m thinking it’s in the steering box or cluster. Anybody have an idea what it may be. Later this week I am bringing it back home to work on it here at my house. Currently at mother in laws. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Steering box on a lawnmower, way too sofisticated .
You have a simple rack & pinion.
The rack is curved and called a fan gear and the pinion is part of the steering shaft.
Being that it is a John Deere and made properly, the fan gear has a bush on the end of it that requires replacing as dose the steering shaft.
You will find it easiest if you stand the mower vertical as the shaft comes out from the bottom after the steering wheel is removed.
Get under and have a good look
If you have ignored the steering getting heavier for a long time then both the rack & pinion may need replacing as well as the bushes

Rls8836

Threads
Bertsmobile1, My John Deere sounds like it will be similar to my Honda Hydrostatic 1011 mower steering then. It was hard to steer also and I replaced both items from items bought off of eBay. It steers great again. Thank you for your responce to my question. I hope to access it this week.