Walk behind John Deere LA115

leon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Morning fellow members,

I fired up the LA115 for the first time to mow a bit on Sunday and

I had a few questions.

Is the reverse always so difficult to engage on these units? The reason I ask is

that I let it warm up while at high idle for a minute or two prior to use, and I thought

it was warm enough to run. I always warmed everything up with my kerosene fired

salamander as a matter of principle to aid in operating my machinery anyway.

Should I plan on using the salamander to heat it up before use?, I dont mind doing it

for sure and if it adds to the service life of the transmission all the better.

I wil say that after mowing briefly with the rear wieghts and all on my small slopes that

it was a breeze to use and it had no trouble with the tall grass as the 20 horse engine

barely wimpered while mowing, and I have had none of the traction issues such as I have

with my old Wheel horse 244 hydro riding lawn mower.

This will be the first year for me with a high horse power tractor and its two stage 44 inch

snow blower as well.

I will be replacing the Factory supplied belts with the Kevlar type before winter comes as

they are better belts in general anyway and handle the shock loads so much easier with

less stress.

Thanks much,:wink:

Leon

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I always warmed everything up with my kerosene fired

salamander as a matter of principle to aid in operating my machinery anyway.

Should I plan on using the salamander to heat it up before use?, I dont mind doing it

for sure and if it adds to the service life of the transmission all the better.

Leon

Leon... You MUST be kidding... I had to look at the date you posted this... yes it is a current post...
WE had 101 degrees yesterday... you don't need to be heating anything up with kerosene before using ...
Even in the winter you don't gain much by heating the transmission... Instead put a good synthetic fluid in it... no more cold flow problems... but in the summer ... the instant the engine has oil pressure it is ready to go, and keeping it cool is a bigger pay off than keeping it hot. :smile:KennyV