John Deere LA115 hesitation

e_hutch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, first time poster and of course I come with problems:
I have a John Deere LA115 that I bought off of a buddy who was getting divorced and no longer needed it. It had 6 hours on it last fall when I bought it, but had been sitting for a year, and seemed to run fine. I finally got it out to mow this summer and it hesitates terribly and will shut itself down. I drained the gas that was in it and put in fresh fuel... the problem got a little better, but it still is week and will not mow more than a yard length at a time without stalling out. The problem is the worst when I am mowing along a slight slope with the right side of the mower on the downhill side. Any ideas on what is going on? thanks!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all, first time poster and of course I come with problems:
I have a John Deere LA115 that I bought off of a buddy who was getting divorced and no longer needed it. It had 6 hours on it last fall when I bought it, but had been sitting for a year, and seemed to run fine. I finally got it out to mow this summer and it hesitates terribly and will shut itself down. I drained the gas that was in it and put in fresh fuel... the problem got a little better, but it still is week and will not mow more than a yard length at a time without stalling out. The problem is the worst when I am mowing along a slight slope with the right side of the mower on the downhill side. Any ideas on what is going on? thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a test, locate and temporarily disconnect the mag kill wire at the engine. If this allows the engine to run as it should a safety switch is nearly always the culprit.

NOTE: this disables all safety switches that were designed into the tractor plus the ignition switch so be careful while this wire is disconnected. To kill the engine, turn ignition to the off position and touch the disconnected wire back to its original terminal location.

wildbill

Threads
I see situations like this, especially at the beginning of the mow season, and the carburetor gets my vote. Old gas evaporates and leaves a varnish-like residue that restricts and even plugs the gas flow through the jets, makes the float stick shut, stick open, etc.

Here is the 'quickie' I do when I encounter this:
- Go to a parts store. Get a spray can of carb cleaner (you will need this whether you disassemble the carb or do this procedure). Also get about a foot of gas line the same size that's on your mower.
- Clamp off the gas line near the tank. No clamp? Use a 1/4" diameter bolt to plug it.
- Pull off the gas line on the carb.
- Attach the foot long section you bought to the carb.
- Slowly, spray this line full of the cleaner. Use the 'spout' that comes with the can to make it easier.
- This will fill the bowl with cleaner.
- Let it sit for a few minutes. Now spray some more. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Hook the mower gas line up. Crank it up and mow, mow, mow!

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the John Deere Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

e_hutch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was thinking carb too, and hoping that I would not have to take the carburetor apart since I am somewhat mechanically ignorant. I was just looking for the 'mag kill wire' to eliminate that first, I disconnected what I thought it was, but the ignition shutoff still worked so I had the wrong wire. However, it did sound a little better after having sat for a little bit from the last time I tried to use it... but still not optimal. More evidence for the carb I think. How do I find the mag kill wire, though, before I head off to the parts store?

wildbill

Threads
It is not likely the wire problem. Try one thing before getting parts: Make sure the gas cap in vented. The very small hole in the cap can become plugged. When this happens a vacuum will be created and not allow the gas to flow properly. It will let the mower start and run for 10 minutes or so and then stop. After sitting a few minutes it will crank up like everything is fine....... then repeat.
For this, just clean it out. You can put the cap in a sink of hot, soapy water and clean it out. You must be able to blow through the vent..... if not drill it out.

If the cap is vented when you check it, go to the store.