John Deere L118 Blades hit together

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not hitting every round doesn't sound like a blade problem. If the blades were hitting each other because they're too long, it would sound more like a machine gun.
Remove the deck belt and re-check spindles.
No that is exactly what happens
They strike each other for a few revolutions then they get in time because one blade slips on the belt till eventually it catches back up again when they will start to strike each other again.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I still believe that he has purchased the wrong replacement blades. The OP has only replied once and was talking about grinding some length off of the blades.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not hitting every round doesn't sound like a blade problem. If the blades were hitting each other because they're too long, it would sound more like a machine gun.
Remove the deck belt and re-check spindles.
Not necessary PT I had a Murray rider that one blade was tad too long and it randomly tagged the other blade due to slight difference in spindle pulley size.

eldowdy

Threads
Buy a new set of blades. Those are too long.

Ed

LMPPLUS

Threads
John Deere L118 Replaced blades and belt. Mowes great but every so often I get a terrible noise for approximately 3 seconds when the blades strike each other. This happens approximately every 30-45 seconds. This is an older model and I don’t see anyway to set the timing. Do I grind the blades down so they can’t touch?
Deere shows this is not a timed deck, you may have a deck that's warped or bent.

Gord Baker

Threads
I recently helped a neighbour with this problem. He had the blades on upside down and the tips hit.
I didn't check but the Ends may not be 90°. Don't grind off the cutting tips, grind off the back side end if you decide to go that route. I suspect you have a loose spindle or Blades are not mounted correctly and tightened on the Spindle.