John deere js63

amac29

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought a used js63. Used it once and LOVED it, mostly because I'd spent 6 weeks prior with a craftsman with broken self propelled. Today, second time, tried starting and entire pull cord snaps out. I replace using a YouTube video as a guide and fire that puppy up and I'm feeling like a beast and so proud of my skills. 6 rows left of front yard and the thing starts a funky rattling and then craps out on me and begins smoking....wtf. I'm thinking I've ignited the new pull cord but can't tell because now I can't get it to pull at all. Any ideas? And yes I am new and a woman and this blows:(((

KrashnKraka

Threads
I recently bought a used js63. Used it once and LOVED it, mostly because I'd spent 6 weeks prior with a craftsman with broken self propelled. Today, second time, tried starting and entire pull cord snaps out. I replace using a YouTube video as a guide and fire that puppy up and I'm feeling like a beast and so proud of my skills. 6 rows left of front yard and the thing starts a funky rattling and then craps out on me and begins smoking....wtf. I'm thinking I've ignited the new pull cord but can't tell because now I can't get it to pull at all. Any ideas? And yes I am new and a woman and this blows:(((

W0W..yer gunna liven the place up, lady. Welcome :)

Yeh..the recoil has smoked itself, likely a out of align
spring placement, resulting in a burnt up recoil to
flywheel dogclutch seize.
Post the link to the video and upload a pix of the recoil
when you have taken it off the mower..showing the working
(or nonworking) bits.

A bloke can then draw you directions, like

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

Let's get a little more info.
Where was the smoke coming from?
Did you check the oil before you started the engine?

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your JS63.

I'm going to move your thread over to the John Deere section to see if we can get you some more answers.

amac29

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi and thanks for replying y'all. Well, it wasn't the pull string and though I took it in to a hip I discovered I actually did do it right and it hadn't been on fire. Funnily enough, now that the thing is in the shop, it does appear I didn't have oil and I may have destroyed the engine. I only used the thing once and had checked the oil and there's no way with my size yard the thing burnt thru what I'd checked in one use. Nonetheless, the dude thinks I killed the pretty new engine and will be giving me an estimate. Since I bought it used thru an app, I have no recourse but to trash it or fix it. I do have a craftsman and the guy thinks I can save some money by taking the engine off that if necessary but I dunno. The smoke was coming from the area unclear the pull cord casing and escalated . It was white. I bummed...

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My feelings are it would be best just to buy a $200 mower.
Or change out the engine your self. It's not as hard has fixing the pull start.