John Deere JS38 push mower

dannac

Threads
Doesn't matter as it's not going to start. Remove the plug and reinsert it into the plug wire. Touch the body of the plug to somewhere to a metal part of the engine and turn the key. You should see the spark jump on the tip of the plug. If it doesn't try another location to touch it to. If it does spark, it indicates the coil and plug are good. Reconnect the kill wire on the coil. Try it again. If no spark, you have a safety, or something, giving a ground to the kill wire. Happy hunting.
Connected kill wire back to coil ... pulled cord and no spark.

Held down switch arm as my normal starting procedure and had spark.

Last edited:

Freddie21

Threads
Did it run? If not shoot some carb cleaner, brake cleaner or a little gas in the carb and see what happens.

dannac

Threads
Spark plug was not in housing, was sitting on engine so I could see if it would spark.

Had stopped running about 3 weeks ago ... while I was cutting ( plenty gas ) and has not started since.

So if it's not the coil, I'll have to re-visit the post where members suspected the valves, early on in this thread.

Thanks

Freddie21

Threads
Did you try putting it back together and starting it. You have spark, shoot in gas and there is air. That's all it takes.

dannac

Threads
Did you try putting it back together and starting it. You have spark, shoot in gas and there is air. That's all it takes.
I don't know what you mean by "shoot in gas or carb cleaner " ... where ... how

Freddie21

Threads
Take the air filter out and you should see the hole of the carb. Pour a thimble amount of gas in it and pull the rip cord. If it attempts to start add a little more and try it again. If it will run for a second or two then it tells you you're not getting fuel through the carb. It may be a clogged fuel filter, if there is one, or a plugged carb.

dannac

Threads
Take the air filter out and you should see the hole of the carb. Pour a thimble amount of gas in it and pull the rip cord. If it attempts to start add a little more and try it again. If it will run for a second or two then it tells you you're not getting fuel through the carb. It may be a clogged fuel filter, if there is one, or a plugged carb.
A little gas in carb has made no difference.

Gave it 8 pulls, always started with 2 or 3 pulls.

I'll continue taking it a part.

dannac

Threads
Got back to mower and was going to remove coil as it seems it has to come off to get to valves.
While taking pictures to help me remember where stuff goes ... wanted to check spacing to flywheel. Have no guages but will get some.

Used photo paper which has a little thickness .... and the 2 spaces to flywheel are not even.
In fact one would not allow the photo paper to go through.

I tested the screws for tightness and both seemed tight, so must have been that way.

So back to see if this is relevant or not.

Attachments

• coil space.jpg
    coil space.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 2

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Grab a good business card, loosen the coil and pull it back and tighten down. Rotate the flywheel until both magnets are across from the two legs of the coil. Insert business card into the gap, and loosen the coil, it should snap tight to the magnets. Tighten the coil down and rotate the flywheel to remove the business card. Test for spark.