John Deere GX75 problem

tim2

Threads
I was given this GX75, it need the carb cleand and a bunch of greasing. I finally got it runing yesterday, and attempted to ride it around and make sure the blade was working correctly. When I put the transmission in any gear the mower failed to move, the brake was applied and the drive belt is in like new condition. Can anyone give me some idea on where to start lookingor what I need to do next?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am going to make a guess here as to the model 75 is a lot like the model 68. Things to look for, a striped key way on the drive axles. This can happen out by the wheels or inside into the differential. Another trouble spot is the drive chain inside gear case has problems with the plastic chain tensioner. The chain wouldn't brake but will come off the sprockets. The old rear engine JD mowers don't have a very strong drive train. This is just a couple of things I have had come into my shop but you will still have to check out what your problem is.

tim2

Threads
Thank you for your input. I will get out there today and take a closer look and see what else I can come up with. I have never had a mower like this before so it's all new to me.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They were John Deere's cheaper mower for the home owner and still a lot of them out there. Its getting harder to find parts for them anymore seeing John Deere quit making them. The big problem I find with then is that they didn't turn very sharp.

tim2

Threads
Well i tore into it today and found none of the issues that might cause the mower not to move..... Really at a loss of what to do next. Does anyone else want to jump in and give me any ideas of what to try next?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
well I will try again
Navigate your way to jdpc ( john deere part catalogue ) . com
Type in GX75 and hit the "model search" button.
When that comes up go to sectional index and from there you can get a copy of the varios bits in the drive train from the engine, through the clutch to the gearbox/diff.
I tried to post the actaual url but the server croked

check that the clutch is working properly and the belt is turning the imput shaft pulley on top of the transmission.
While you are there check that the shaft itself is turning ( might need a mirror for that one )
If both look good then it is out with the transmission.
The sliding keys ( part 42) break when clots change gear wile moving or without using the clutch or with a bad clutch.

tim2

Threads
Well I tore it down yesterday and the key was missing inside the transfer, replaced it and the mower is moving. Thank you for the info. Now it's time to stop moving, the PO removed the brake pads. Is there any special requirements to install or tear down the brake assembly? I am picking up new pads today around noon. THanks for your help again.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I tore it down yesterday and the key was missing inside the transfer, replaced it and the mower is moving. Thank you for the info. Now it's time to stop moving, the PO removed the brake pads. Is there any special requirements to install or tear down the brake assembly? I am picking up new pads today around noon. THanks for your help again.

As I recall that model has a small disc brake on the side of the transmission that operates with its own petal. Just make sure the pins are free to move and adjust it so the brake stops the mower.

tim2

Threads
I am making an attempt to remove the transmission one more time. Got the pads today and another tire as one was dry rotted very badly.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am making an attempt to remove the transmission one more time. Got the pads today and another tire as one was dry rotted very badly.

Some times a tire will just get so much dry rot you just have to replace it, but for just not holding air anymore I find a inner tube works good.