John Deere GT235 Carburetor Needed

OLD GARAGE

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a year 2000 John Deere GT235 w/ the 18hp Briggs engine. The engine number s 350777-1177-E1. I was have fuel issues long story short I need to replace the carburetor. I called the local John Deere dealer and they want $235 for a carb which is not logical for the age of the mower. I have been looking the carb part number so I could cross reference it a non Briggs carburetor.

I have had no luck at all finding a cross-reference that would help me. I thought it was a AM122605 but I can't get any of the stores to confirm. I have looked for a used unit but haven't found one.

So, being totally honest I want to see how one of the $100 models will work if I can find how to cross-reference the number.

Thanks for any help

Ron

dougand3

Threads
Briggs 808725 superseded to 847395, which is $225 and totally ridiculous. Search ebay for GT235 carburetor. Some $40 ones there. Compare your carb to these AM ones.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And there is nothing magic about a mower carb.
Just like the ones on motorcycles and older cars they can be swapped
Any carb off the same size engine should work and most have the same mounting spacings.
Worst thing is you may need to bent a new throttle link rod from the governor to the throttle butterfly.
The bit that can be a problem is if the throttle butterfly connection plate has only 1 connection hole.
Most have 2, one for push to open and one for pull to open