John Deere 68 blade replacement.

Metricscaler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I just bought a old rear engine mower and was wondering how to replace the blade. I haven't got a manual for it yet. Do you take the deck off or just flip it on it's side?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi I just bought a old rear engine mower and was wondering how to replace the blade. I haven't got a manual for it yet. Do you take the deck off or just flip it on it's side?

You take the deck off.

Welcome, and please post pics! I have an R72 and 2 RX75 RER's......I'd love to see pics of your 68....no matter the condition.....

Does that have a Briggs or a tecumseh? A steering wheel, or the Schwinn-style "antlers"? Again, love to see pics, even if you think its a POS.......

Last edited:

Metricscaler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey thanks, figured as much. I saw a owners manual on eBay, I think I'll pick on up. Yes I will post some picks .

Metricscaler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey just bought a new blade and damn if I can get the bolt out there is a reverse thread on the bolt right.? Aren't all lawnmowers reverse thread? Oh and it has a 8 Hp B&S.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Aren't all lawnmowers reverse thread? .

No almost all are normal ... Right hand...
Very few decks, I can only think of one, use a LH spindle thread... :smile:KennyV

grnspot110

Threads
The model 66 & 68's were made to stand on their backs for storage. Thats what the black pipes are on the back of the mower are for. Just be sure to let them set on their wheels for a while before starting!

Attachments

• GARDEN TRACTORS 602 (Small).jpg
    GARDEN TRACTORS 602 (Small).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 35

Metricscaler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well that's why I couldn't get it off!( and the nuts all round now)=(

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well that's why I couldn't get it off!( and the nuts all round now)=(

If it is rounded, you will have to take some, extreme measures to get it off...
If you further damage it... no problem, your going to have to replace it anyway...
If you have metric sockets, use one slightly smaller and try driving it on the head of the bolt try both 6 & 12 point, your looking for a very tight forced fit...
you can also use a chisel and a hammer to try to drift it CCW...
If all else fails you can weld any piece of scrap to it, the heat & added leverage will take it off... :smile:KennyV

Metricscaler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey thanks I was contemplating just sharpening it right on the mower! But since I have the new one I should replace it thanks for the help everyone! I have a new manual in the mail I just bought off eBay so that should help with any maintenance and repairs.

oldyellr

Threads
Welcome to the forum! I have an old Model 68. They're a great mower. When you say "blade", yours must be a 30" single blade model. Mine is a 34" (two 17" blades). Besides an owner's manual, you should try and find a parts book on eBay. However you can also see that stuff on-line by going to Residential Equipment Parts The parts are getting scarce now, but many have been superseded by newer parts that work.

As for getting the blade off, too bad the bolt has been rounded off. You should get a new one and the washer, if you don't have them already. It's a regular RH thread. Try using a big pipe wrench. Be sure to use grease anti-seize when you put the new one in. You can sharpen the blade in place, especially a single one, by just tilting the mower up on the discharge side and going in with an angle grinder with a cut-off disk.

Last summer I thought the axle had broken on mine and I'd have to scrap it. My neighbour was replacing his Honda rear engine rider at the time, so I bought it off him. Meanwhile I found that it was just a broken weld on the rear axle flange and welded it, so now I have two riders I use alternately. I go clockwise with the JD using a home-made mulch plate and CCW with the Honda.