John Deere 322 fan belt

jd322

Threads
I just broke the Yanmar engine fan belt and would like to know whats the easiest way to remove the driveshaft to install a new fan belt. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PJ

Threads
I just broke the Yanmar engine fan belt and would like to know whats the easiest way to remove the driveshaft to install a new fan belt. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi
I do not know the model outlay but it does not sound right that you have to remove a drive shaft to replace the belt what does the owners manual say
Regards
PJ

jd322

Threads
After many tedious hours of work it was discovered the easiest way to change the radiator fan belt was to drain the cooling system and remove the radiator to access and remove the the engine coupler to the driveshaft in order to slip the new fan belt under the engine pully. What a bitch of a job to change a fan belt. But it is working again.

redpinefarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
After many tedious hours of work it was discovered the easiest way to change the radiator fan belt was to drain the cooling system and remove the radiator to access and remove the the engine coupler to the driveshaft in order to slip the new fan belt under the engine pully. What a bitch of a job to change a fan belt. But it is working again.

For what it is worth, I replaced mine by working from the bottom, without removing the radiator. I pulled the belly screen off so that I could get some movement out of the vertical sheet that the drive shaft passes through. I then bent the lip of that sheet down to get it out of the way. I put a 12" socket extension through the coupler to prevent the engine from turning over. Then I removed each of the six bolts. As I got each one out would pull the socket extension out, roll the pulley enough to get the next one to the bottom and then slide the socket extension back in. On my tractor, I found out the hard way the bolts are 1/2" not 13mm. After rounding one off, the other 5 came out pretty easily. Once that was done, I could remove the rubber spacer. I put the new belt in from the side that the alternator is on, working it over one fan blade at a time and turning the fan to work it over the next until the belt was hanging from the fan pulley. Then I put it over the engine pulley. Lastly, I put it over the alternator pulley. On the jdparts website I found the part number, then went to eBay to find one. The corresponding belt was 1/2" by 34". I found this to be too short for my tractor and ended up putting a 1/2 by 35" belt on it. This too was rather snug, but after reassembly it is working fine.

CharlieStrick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi
I do not know the model outlay but it does not sound right that you have to remove a drive shaft to replace the belt what does the owners manual say
Regards
PJ

I have a John Deere 322 tractor mower. It was a simple operation to replace the front belt. Take the grate off, feed the belt onto the large pulley, then down the two small pulleys, release the deck with the two spring loaded bolts and feed it onto the mower deck. It is running great.

thz71

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere 322 tractor mower. It was a simple operation to replace the front belt. Take the grate off, feed the belt onto the large pulley, then down the two small pulleys, release the deck with the two spring loaded bolts and feed it onto the mower deck. It is running great.

That has nothing to do with what this thread is about