John Deere 170 help

agro amish

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have recently purchased a 1990 JD 170 and due too the weather, have only been able to start and mow for a couple of minutes, so I have not been able to test my new machine out. I would like to no of any preventative maintanance and future problems that I may encounter, if anyone has experience with this particular model and could give me good heads-up on issues with this lawn tractor please let me know. Thanks.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
A 14 HP Kawasaki with a 5speed transmission and a 38in deck. I would say the first thing I would do with it is change the engine oil to a good syntactic oil like Amsoil. Grease all fittings and oil linkage. Keep good blades on it and watch your belt adjustments. All the normal things you would do with any mower. Seeing I don't know the condition of the mower I would look for noisy bearings like pulleys and mower deck bearings and replace them if that is the case??? If it has a lot of hours on it maybe a new spark plug and new filters. Check the air pressure in the tires. Check all the steering linkage for any thing loose or bent.