JD X304 4 wheel steering

nbpt100

Threads
For a 1 inch bolt that is not that high of a torque. It did not seem to be that large as I recall seeing it. I was thinking more in the 16 to 19mm range or about 3/4". I will be at it tomorrow and will confirm its size at that time. It really looks like removig the king pins is required to remove the transaxle from the carrier. I can not find any other confirmed process to do it.
This is a picture of that king pin prt number that I found. It is not a conventional bolt. It may actually have a 1 1/8 or some close metric equivalent hex head.
1651756120782.png

nbpt100

Threads
I got the transaxle out of the machine and separated from the carrier. The king pin bolts came out with out much trouble using my impact. I used a 1 1/8 6 pt. impact socket. It fit very tight which is good, but I would bet it is a 28mm hex. My problem now is trying to remove the U-joints from the splined shaft on the old transaxle. They are rusted and frozen. I am soaking over night in penetrating oil. I have it verticle so that gravity will draw the oil through the spline. It will be tough to get off. There is no good way to hit it with a good blow. the approach is from a steep angle. It never is easy! Is it? I do not want to use my air hammer but may have to.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tnx for the actual socket size info. I will note it in my copy of the service manual for future reference. It just might help someone else. If it was a very tight fit then the metric wrench size would mostly 29mm since 1.125" x 25.4 = 28.58mm

nbpt100

Threads
Tnx for the actual socket size info. I will note it in my copy of the service manual for future reference. It just might help someone else. If it was a very tight fit then the metric wrench size would mostly 29mm since 1.125" x 25.4 = 28.58mm
Of Course!!! my typo

nbpt100

Threads
The job is done and I will say it was not too bad except for the rusted frozen U-Joints on the transaxle's shafts. It took some time with heating and quenching plus a big hammer to get them off. The king pins spun right out with my impact. For not for the frozen U-joints you would only have to remove the king pins on one side to remove the transaxle from the carrier. Then you should be able to slide off the opposite u-joint leaving it assembled to the carrier.