JD D140 drive belt slipping?

unioncreek

Threads
I have a JD D140 mower that I put a new drive belt on last spring. As the mowing season was ending up for the fall it started to slip more often. I’m wondering if either the drive pulley on the engine or the driven pulley on the transmission are worn out. Is there a way to tell if that is the case or can the belt wear out in one season. I have about 175 hours on the machine.
Thanks,
Bob

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Feel with your finger for a ridge at belt depth . The drive pulley usually wears ( fails ) first from wear .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Use a strong flash night and look at the engine pulley if it is polished nice & shinny at the root then it is worn out.
Have a look at the belt , it should show wear on the sides but not on the narrow end of the V
The usual cause is the pivot hole on the clutch tension arm worn oval and the bush it runs against because despite the owners manual showing it needs to be lubed no one ever does

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The plastic V-Idler pulley are known to wear out quickly as Bert indicated the bottom (root) of the pulley will be shiny when worn out. Same as effectively having too long on a v-belt on the mower as it will start slipping.

1710155529285.png

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
The plastic V-Idler pulley are known to wear out quickly as Bert indicated the bottom (root) of the pulley will be shiny when worn out. Same as effectively having too long on a v-belt on the mower as it will start slipping.

View attachment 68010
OEM belts last for years if everything is correct. To really check thoroughly, you need to release belt tension and check each pulley, also check to be sure it has good belt tension. Is this an OEM John Deere belt?

unioncreek

Threads
I pull the deck off this morning and here is what the drive pulley looks like. There are ridges in it also. The plastic idler pulley looks good.
IMG_0450.jpeg

unioncreek

Threads
Yes, I put a JD OEM belt on last year. After taking the drive pulley off I removed the transaxle. The driven pulley on the transaxle is also shined right to the bottom. I’m going to replace all the pulleys plus the idlers and belt.

Bob