JD COMM WB shuts off when put into gear, cant move it at all

crazyoldtractor

Threads
  • / JD COMM WB shuts off when put into gear, cant move it at all
I have a John Deere walk behind mower that has an intermittent issue that isn't so intermittent anymore. It used to only happen sometimes but now it wont go away and I cant mow. The thing starts and runs just fine, but when I put it into gear it just shuts off. I know it isn't a seat safety switch because it is a walk behind, there's no seat. I used to be able to just shake the mower around and it would work but now no luck this time. I cant move it. I have a feeling it is something to do with a switch on the transmission, since the issue happens when i put it into gear but i don't know.

Here is the info one the mower:

It is a yellow deck commercial walk behind

On mower it says: 14HP COMM MOW, Serial: GX1320X011271
On the deck it says: 48 COMM W-B, serial: GX48MCX010889
There are no model numbers or anything which is strange.

If anyone knows whats wrong please reply? Thanks.

crazyoldtractor

Threads
Just figured out whats wrong. There is a round looking switch unit with a two prong connector on the front of the trans called a "Neutral start switch," needed replacement.

tyjoja

Threads
I have about the same machine and am having trouble with no spark. But I have the neutral switch, one on each handle, and one safety switch on the blade control lever. Mine appear that when the switch is activated they are shorted across. Look up my thread, from sunday I think, and a guy gave me a web site for john deere that has wiring diagrams.

crazyoldtractor

Threads
I've had another kawaski engine that had no spark and I went in circles trying to figure it out. I went and bought a new ignition, that didn't solve it, in fact it was a special piece that i believe is only used on kawaskis, it called an igniter. I replaced that and that solved the problem. Try replacing the igniter, based on my experiences, it is most likely the issue.

However, if I were you I would test the ignition coil first, so you dont end up wasting a lot of money on an ignition coil if that isn't the problem. I'm not sure how to even test the igniter so Id say, first, test coil, then test wiring, if these are not the issue then replace the igniter, there is not much else that could go wrong. Unless of course it is something simple, a fouled plug? Maybe? I don't know. Maybe provide me some more info, what have you tried already? I may be able to help further.

crazyoldtractor

Threads
Just figured out whats wrong. There is a round looking switch unit with a two prong connector on the front of the trans called a "Neutral start switch," needed replacement.

Also, you can bypass the switch instead of buying a new one for $32! Just cut the two wires going to the switch and connect them with solder or a wire cap. Its a pretty pointless switch so id just bypass it, its a lot cheaper.

Another issue I have seen is the mechanism within the transmission that actuates the switch does not function properly. In that case, replacing the switch wouldn't help any either. You would have to remove the trans and find the issue, not worth the hassle, just bypass it.