JD 345 Engine Swap, Kawasaki FD590V to Honda GXV630

LeJo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am swapping out the Kawasaki FD590V for a Honda GXV630. The tractor is in great shape but for the engine. I know I need a shim for the PTO to accommodate the original electric clutch and pulley. The item that has me perplexed is correctly wiring the Honda into the existing JD wiring. The Honda has a 17 amp stator and four wires The JD has a five contact plug. Is there a site or resource that I can find guidance on being sure I am wiring it correctly? Also is there anything else I should be doing besides acquiring a shim and correctly wiring the engine to the JD? Thanks in advance for any information.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I am swapping out the Kawasaki FD590V for a Honda GXV630. The tractor is in great shape but for the engine. I know I need a shim for the PTO to accommodate the original electric clutch and pulley. The item that has me perplexed is correctly wiring the Honda into the existing JD wiring. The Honda has a 17 amp stator and four wires The JD has a five contact plug. Is there a site or resource that I can find guidance on being sure I am wiring it correctly? Also is there anything else I should be doing besides acquiring a shim and correctly wiring the engine to the JD? Thanks in advance for any information.
Wiring, exhaust fitting, engine mounting bolt pattern, crankshaft length and diameter. Really study it before you start with this swap. What is the issue(s) with the Kawasaki?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Shimmed cranks usually fail pretty quickly so get a new PTO clutch Remove the kawakasi blower cover and trace where all the wires go to then label the engine side of the plug .
JD change the wire colours at every switch and some times the plugs as well
The full wiring diagram is in the JD technical Manual

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just which manual depends on the serial number. TM1574 or TM1760

70001-up TM1760
X9 Engine connector

301 Org/WHt > Temp sensor
590 Brn/Yel > Stator AC
595 Brn/Wht > Stator AC
451/805 Yel/Blk Pnk/Blk > Fuel Solenoid / A1 Delay Module
620 Tan > Oil pressure / A1 Delay Module

1708696065874.png

LeJo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the guidance. The Kawasaki was burning oil so I assumed the rings needed replacing and valves ground. I was going to do this, so removed it out and called places. The prices given to me made it much cheaper to buy the Honda as a replacement. So good or bad that is my new adventure. I am going to follow your suggestions as I move forward. Any suggestions where to buy a new PTO clutch? will keep you posted on this. Spring is coming to us here in cheeseland.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Depending on the number hours it can be just blown head gaskets. And it is then valve stems would need cleaning.

I have replaced several head gaskets on the Kawasaki engine in the last few years. On one FXT00V the customer was told he needed a $4000 engine when it was only head gaskets.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thanks for the guidance. The Kawasaki was burning oil so I assumed the rings needed replacing and valves ground. I was going to do this, so removed it out and called places. The prices given to me made it much cheaper to buy the Honda as a replacement. So good or bad that is my new adventure. I am going to follow your suggestions as I move forward. Any suggestions where to buy a new PTO clutch? will keep you posted on this. Spring is coming to us here in cheeseland.

I cannot imagine a new Honda engine with comparable horsepower, would be “much cheaper”, than a partial top end engine rebuild.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
He is considering switching from water cooled to air cooled engine so I would think the engine would lower in cost. But as mention the OP needs to stick with the same size PTO end on the crankshaft which I didn't lookup for either engine.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
https://xtremeope.com/ best clutch out there never had to replace one yet this all we sell when they make one to fit what we are working on.