JD 185 electric clutch

mumptia

Threads
How the heck does an electric clutch work? I mean I know how it works, but when its doesn't, whet do you chek other than continuity on the leads?

I just bought a used one that was advertised working. I have one eyebrow up now,:tongue:

Its a plug in component so it grounds itself.

It is early in the morninghere too ( maybe I'm not scratching my head hard enough)

Any thoughts?

Rob

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The clutch coil will have 2 wires, one is ground, check that it is good...
The other will be the 12 volts applied when you turn on the PTO... check if you get 12 volts there.
You can also check the clutch by applying 12 volts directly to the clutch coil...

If the clutch coil is good and you are not getting full voltage to the clutch you will have to start working your way back to the battery, looking where you may be loosing it... it is USUALLY a bad ground OR a bad PTO switch, ... Post back with your findings... :smile:KennyV

mumptia

Threads
The clutch coil will have 2 wires, one is ground, check that it is good...
The other will be the 12 volts applied when you turn on the PTO... check if you get 12 volts there.
You can also check the clutch by applying 12 volts directly to the clutch coil...

If the clutch coil is good and you are not getting full voltage to the clutch you will have to start working your way back to the battery, looking where you may be loosing it... it is USUALLY a bad ground OR a bad PTO switch, ... Post back with your findings... :smile:KennyV

Well, I kept scratching and got some things figured out. (When you have a class of 25 grade 7,8,9 split at the same time its hard to concentrate).

The clutch works fine. I hook the clutch up to my battery charger and it worked fine. I also tried the clutch I replaced and it didn't engage the way the replacement clutch did. So my money is not wasted.

Getting 11.3 v at the switch and the clutch isn't engaging. What is the minimum VDC that the clutch needs to engage?

I'm going to back track from the clutch plug. Check for rusty grounds, corrosion and broken wires.

Have to admit, the electrical part is not my strongest skill.

The snow is starting to go up here so I need to get this mower road worthy.:biggrin:

mumptia

Threads
Bwahahaha what a dummy I am.

I've been working on this mower and always start it with my battery charger because I haven't replaced the battery yet. Out of habit, when the mower starts I always take the negaitive lead off.

It dawned on me that on the quads I run the batteries are trickle charged (generally only effective when the quad is under load for that matter) therfore not producing 12 volts. On a Polaris quad the front hubs are magnetic and they need 12v to engage. No battery, no 4 x 4.

So I started the mower and left the cables hooked up. Guess what happened? The clutch works just dandy. :laughing:

Gonna be a good day today.:wink:

Now one more thing. The starter labors so we'll be having a boo at the brushes.:thumbsup: